1748181 Members
3952 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Stacking Question

Ronnie Hamilton_1
Frequent Advisor

Stacking Question

Hi have a number of switches with stacking enabled. Is there any requirement for this is all my WC conect back to a 4100g with fiber. at each WC there are 2650's. Should each 2650 be stacked at WC. ie if I have 2x 2650 at a WC should this be 1 stack and the next WC with 2x 2650 be a different stack.

thanks
Ron
2 REPLIES 2
Eirram_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Stacking Question

Hello Ron,

If the physical logical of your wiring closest are in tune with the logical distribution of your users, then keeping a stack per WC makes sense. This is however not a prerequisite. Things to keep in mind are the auto-grab/join feature. When this is selected, then reboots may have switches appear in a stack you do not wish them to.

If you go for the per WC scenario, create stacks with unique names and have the correct member switches point to the correct stack Master. The Management & Configuration Guide points out some caveats such as the use of the Primary VLAN.

I would look for a tight control over the stack and its members. Auto grab/join can be nasty when you have many potential candidates on a LAN. But as always, it depends :) Having more stacks means having more Masters. Which in turn means having more different IP to go to, to perform your Management/configuration chores.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Goodluck
Ronnie Hamilton_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Stacking Question

thanks

will look into this