1752577 Members
5049 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Start Console session

Vu_7
Occasional Contributor

Start Console session

I am completely new to this. How do I start a console session to configure an IP address for a HP Procurve 2800 switch. Documentation just says start session, but does not state how. I have connected the switch via serial port to a computer and turn on both switch and computer but I don't know where to go from there. Please help......

Vu
5 REPLIES 5
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Start Console session

It is generally better to have the PC terminal up before booting the switch. Usually the switch does not care about baud rate and YMMV but 9600 is safer if you need to XMODEM updates to it. Set it to 9600,N,8,1 VT100 and you should be good to go. You may need to hit [enter] a few times for the switch to sync up the baud rate.

I have several different models of Procurve switches and some of them do OK with no handshake while others seem to want hardware handshake.

HTH
Vu_7
Occasional Contributor

Hi Les,

Does that mean that I need a modem? I thought that I could just attach the serial cable to the computer and switch. Do I start Hyperterminal and configure those settings in there? The screen is blank and I cannot type anything in and I've tried hitting enter but nothing seems to happen. Does it take longer than a few minutes?

Thanks
Vu
Andr├й Beck
Honored Contributor

Vu,

what you're looking for is a Terminal program (a software that emulates a classic video terminal on a multi purpose computer). There are a variety of such programs for a variety of OS, with Windows today you usually use Hyperterm (open a connection directly via COMx with 9600bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and NO flow control, then either watch the switch boot or go hammering CR). With Linux I prefer minicom. There is better software compared to Hyperterm (Powerterm or KEA!VT come to mind), but it is rather sufficient for setting up a ProCurve - any software will probably do as long as it has a somewhat decent VT100 emulation.

HTH,
Andre.
Vu_7
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Les and Andre. I had the flow control set to Hardware and I also tried Xon/Xoff but once I set to None, I received the console almost immediately. My heart felt thanks.

Cheers
Vu
Frank Benke_1
Advisor

by the way an add on

... alternatively you can use DHCP. all pro curve switches search for a dhcp address by default and if you look on the box or the front sticker you find the management console mac address. if you have access to your dhcp configuration you can put a dynamic but uniquely defined IP configuration to the switch and then configure it via telnet manually.

this makes sense if you have a larger roll out ;o)