1752579 Members
3321 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Static IP Address Cisco Catalyst 3020

jsu
Advisor

Static IP Address Cisco Catalyst 3020

Although I've followed the instructions to set the Cisco 3020 switch to a manual IP Address according to the 3020 Software Configuration Guide (pg3-10), the switch remains unpingable - can't recognize to/from the thing.

I have it hooked up to the site LAN through a procurve switch... and had the thing running with an ip address retrieved from the site DHCP servers.

Thx in advance for any ideas.
3 REPLIES 3
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Re: Static IP Address Cisco Catalyst 3020

Have you tried isolating the Cisco and tried pinging it using a test PC?

Not entirely clear on what you mean in the second part of your question - are saying the switch is contactable if it is setup to use DHCP?

And what testing have you done with / without the Procurve in the chain?
jsu
Advisor

Hello,

The switch was set up to take it's IPA via the site DHCP servers out of the box and it connected fine; the blades connected fine. Then I "reset" the switch to factory, and applied the static ip address (VLAN 1), netmask, and gateway.

I can access the switch from its static IP address when launching from OA. I normally access the switch through a serial connection.

A blade shows that it has a "1Gb connection" to the 3020, and the switch reports a good connection, but when I try to ping the 3020 (ipa) from the blade, there is no response.

When I try to ping the 3020 from the LAN, there is no response either.

I removed the Procurve from the equation - no change.

Thx for any assistance!
jsu
Advisor

Thx. I was suffering from a schizoid config... Conflicting FA0 and VLAN1... VLAN1 shutdown...

In the end, I disabled FA0 and "no shutdown" VLAN1 and I'm up. Thx for your attention.