7041 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stop 5300xl sending BPDUs on edge-ports

Draschl Clemens
Occasional Contributor

Stop 5300xl sending BPDUs on edge-ports

hi there,

we've got 4 5300xl's so far, each of them running MSTP (SW v8.50). From our carrier we get some VLANs via a Cisco 3750, each of them connected to an access-port, not a .1Q-trunk. Each VLAN has its own instance. The Problem is, that the 5300xl is sending BPDUs also on the edge-ports, so that the 3750 doesn't bring up the interfaces.

I've tried to configure edge-ports, but the result was the same. Filters (as mentioned in another post in this forum) won't work, "no mcheck" neither is a choice.

The only solution which came to my mind is to configure the Cisco-ports with bpdu-guards, but imho that's only a workaround and not eliminating the cause.

Anybody got an idea how to solve this? I've checked the documentation but didn't find any suitable solution.

greetings

clemens
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor

please log a call with our support center. i don't know off the top.
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Draschl,

Regarding MSTP there have been some fixes in the 09.xx firmwares. I believe the E.09.29 is the latest one (available through support call Dirct access Procurve on 0810102531 from Austria).

Regards,

SCOOTER
Draschl Clemens
Occasional Contributor

We've solved the problem by configuring our previous setup with .1Q-trunks again, terminating at L3-ifaces on a Cat6k5. So the only STP-domain exists between two 5300xl's.

According to a HP-technician no-span per port will be avaible in a near-future-release of the 5300-firmware.

However, the advantage is that one additional 16-GigE-module may be used for client access.

Anyway, thanks for advice.

greetings,
clemens
Andr├й Beck
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> According to a HP-technician no-span per
> port will be avaible in a near-future-
> release of the 5300-firmware.

Very interesting. And hopefully not limited to just the 5300xl series, I'd need it on 3400cl and 4100gl for instance.