cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange port counters values

RicN
Valued Contributor

Strange port counters values

If I do a show interface command on a 5412 switch I could get an output with for examples this:

Bytes Tx : 729,240,550
Unicast Tx : 299,731,223

This confused me a lot, since the numbers does not really make sense, i.e. a lot of the frames should be 2 bytes long.

However I have now got a feeling that there is a wrap-around, perhaps the counters on the 5412 internaly is 32 bits or similiar?

Do you know if this is correct for all Procurve switches?

And do you know how for example Cisco switches uses port counter wraps?
5 REPLIES
RicN
Valued Contributor

Re: Strange port counters values

More info: I have now checked this on one 5412 on K.12.57 and one 5406 one K.13.25 and they both showed the same effect, that is counters wraps around at 4294967296.

This makes the Bytes transieved pretty useless, as it on a highly used GB-port will wrap around each minut or so.

Perhaps the way to go is to always look at Unicast TX/RX and multiply with perhaps 1518 (which of course is not really correct, as the frame sizes could vary a lot.)

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

standart network frame 64byte whit between 1500byte

byte Rx stuff: total RX byte flow on port

unicast RX stuff :unicast frame rate(frames
may be 64 byte or 800 byte or 1300 byte)

Bcast/Mcast Rx stuff:multicast and broadcast rate (frames may be 64 byte or 800 byte or 1300 byte)

each ethernet frame cycleing different rate
in network

cenk
cenk

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

It's fairly normal for SNMP counters to wrap at 32 bits. You can use walkMIB ifHCInOctets and friends to pull the 64-bit versions, where available. Any decent NMS should be able to cope with that.

Whether there is any firmware release which shows the 64-bit values conveniently from the CLI, I couldn't say.
RicN
Valued Contributor

>Whether there is any firmware release which
>shows the 64-bit values conveniently from
>the CLI, I couldn't say.

I wonder if that exist, it would be very nice to have, but at least the ordinary "show int" commands on the latest release only gives the 32 bit counter.

The 64bit MIBs you mentioned, do you know if Procurve devices could be polled remotly with these?
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

"The 64bit MIBs you mentioned, do you know if Procurve devices could be polled remotly with these?"

Yes, sure. That should work fine.