1753946 Members
8072 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Suggest a Core Switch

Vlan Sample Configurati
Occasional Advisor

Suggest a Core Switch

Ours is a campus network and we have all HP Procurve Switches in the network connected thro UTP and Fibre Uplinks, where all these uplinks are connected to a HP2650 which is placed in the server room and acts as a core switch.At the moment we have connected all the 10 servers in this HP2650 which acts as core switch.Now we are planning to swap over to a Hp core switch which has Gigabit ports on it.Please suggest me an Hp switch core switch to our network..
5 REPLIES 5
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

It depends on what feature set you're after and what level of redundancy you need, and of course whatever your budget is limited to.

I would recommend the 5300 series as a very good starting point. It gives you a modular design so you can add new modules as you need, it supports Access Control Lists, Virus Throttling, Router redundancy via XRRP (you would need 2x 5300's for this).

By itself you can also add a redundant power supply.

If you want to go up to the next generation products, look at the 5400/3500's.

If the 5300 is more than what you need, look at the 3400's (very similar feature set), or the 2800's if you require gigabit switching with more basic routing features.

You can also use the free ProCurve Network Design center team to get a recommendation based on your needs - http://66.35.221.171/design_center/designcenter.htm

Hope this helps and don't forget to assign points to posts that have helped you.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Dear Friend
I think the ProCurve 5304-32G is the best choice for you as a Core Switch.
You have 32 ports 10/100/1000 , modular and you have 2 empty slots, you can use your fiber also and i think the cost of this is affordable.
Science for Everyone
Vlan Sample Configurati
Occasional Advisor

Hi Matt !!!
Are these HP3500 series available in the market. If so pls send me some link which has the details, specs and picture of switch
Is 32 port available in this series

Thanks

John Kamaka
Brann Mitchell
Occasional Advisor

Hi, uh, vlan,

We're doing a similar set up with a 5406zl, with two 20+4 modules and soon to have the 24-port mGBIC module too for the fiber. The 5400 does force the PoE on you (and a seperate PSU), but the port density is much higher. Since it is new, it does cost a little more than the 5300, but only a little.

Cheers