108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Suggestion for future firmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Suggestion for future firmware

I wonder if it would be possible to add something like iperf to switch firmware, enabling users to run a performance test from the switch to a target ip address. This would be a great aid in baselining and testing the network without having to access or place an end point device at one end.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Suggestion for future firmware

Hi Jason,

I have to agree with you, this is a very good idea and a preformance tool would definitely be handy to have.

However, to get such a feature (or any other feature) implemented you have to go through ProCurve sales in your local country - and file something called an "Enhancement request" with them. The request in turn will be forwarded to the engineers dealing with implementation of new ideas and alike.

--Geir Skei
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Being a sales driven process, it also helps if there is a large deal pending that requires such a feature.

For a feature like this I would imagine that it would take significant CPU performance which may not be available in many switches. It would also mean that you would have to address traffic to the switches IP address itself which would have be handled by its management CPU, very possibly causing a denial of service. This is why it's a good idea to keep your switches management address on a different VLAN or protected by an ACL.

There's a good free and simple program similar to iperf which is easier to implement on end nodes. Ixia Qcheck.
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Thanks, I'll look into it. I though the biggest issue would be processing power to run such a test, but I thought todays kit was pretty powerful? :)
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

"I thought todays kit was pretty powerful?"

It's the custom hardware that does most of the heavy lifting, not the management processor. You'ld never get the processor to sustain anything like the load the switch fabric is capable of.