sergeys
Occasional Contributor

Switch 2610-48 changes running config

Hi!

We have Procurve switch:

ProCurve J9088A Switch 2610-48
Software revision : R.11.30
ROM Version : R.10.06

I noticed some strange behaviour: switch configuration is periodicaly changes without assistance.

'sh runn' is the same as 'sh conf'. But 'sh conf stat' informs that 'Running configuration has been changed and needs to be saved.'. Also noticed that this is occurs after ports changes its state (from on-line to off-line and vice versa).

Is it normal?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry for my English. ;-)
6 REPLIES 6
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Re: Switch 2610-48 changes running config

It might be worth double checking by downloading the running and startup configs and checking with either the 'fc' or 'diff' command (Windows or Unix respectively).
Or could you attach the files to your post?
sergeys
Occasional Contributor

Doing

copy startup-config tftp xxxx st
copy running-config tftp xxxx ru

diff -Nau st ru

the files are identical.
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Interesting. I've just tested this on 2160 running R.11.30 and I get the same behaviour.
If you unplug an interface it reports the running config has changed.
However, if you leave the interface unplugged and re run "sh conf stat" after a few minutes it decides the configs are the same again.
I think I've noticed this on other switches before (you login to check something and on logging out it prompts you to save the config) so it might not be a 2610 or a R.11.30 issue.
sergeys
Occasional Contributor

I think that it is not normal. Because you don't know is the config is really changed (by you, by co-workers etc.)
John123456
Occasional Contributor

When switch changes any system configuration automatically, this message will be also prompted even though the running-configuration has been not changed by user.
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Saw this as a bug fix in R.11.54

CLI (PR_0000041836) ├в The switch asks users if they want to save the configuration even
though no changes were made. Note that configuration changes made via SNMP will still
trigger this behavior even after this fix

Try updating and seeing if it fixes it!