cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch Telnet connection error

Brian Cohen
Occasional Visitor

Switch Telnet connection error

I'm trying to connect to a switch via Telnet and get the message: Sorry, the maximum number of sessions are active. Try again later.

I know that no one is connected to the switch, so I am assuming that it wasn't logged out correctly. In the past, I have rebooted the switch and that will fix it. However, I was wondering if there is something else that could be done without having to boot the switch.

Thanks,

Brian
4 REPLIES
Neil_77
Frequent Advisor

Re: Switch Telnet connection error

Hi Brian,

out of interest, what switch type is it that you have and which OS are you running?

We had similar sounding symptoms on our 4000/8000M switches running C.09.16. I believe there was a known bug (sorry, don't have the details to hand but should be in the release notes somewhere) which is now fixed in the latest version of OS - C.09.22

We have upgraded our switches to C.09.22 and have had no further problems since.

Neil
Andrey Deryugin
Honored Contributor

Hi Brian,

If it's MIB has an OID like 'number of current telnet sessions" you could try reset it using snmpset utility.

Regards,
Andrey
Brian Cohen
Occasional Visitor

The switch is a 2524 running 5.17.

On the MIB setting, is that why by default? We have not realy done anything with the MIB's.

Thanks,

Brian
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

You could connect to the console (serial port) and issue the KILL command from there.