1753444 Members
5117 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Switch modules exchang

Zeke Khirbash
Occasional Contributor

Switch modules exchang

We had two switches, 4104g and 4108g, uplinked togather on 1Gbps ports and these ports are tagged for one of the VLANs. Here is the issue, I pulled the Gig module, where most of the servers were plugged in, from the 4108 switch and swapped it with one 10/100Mbps module from the 4104 switch. So, now we have all desktops plugged into the 4108 switch and all the servers plugged into the 4104 switch. The switches were uplinked on 100Mbps ports, and the tagging was done as follows: Default_VLAN= NO, Desktop_VLAN= Untagged, and issues started occuring. Servers weren't talkint to remote servers and part of the network lost connectivity to the switch. When I moved all the servers to the 4108 switch, connectivity to remote servers got reestablished. Can someone explain to me what mistakes were made here to cause this mishap?
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: Switch modules exchang

When you swapped the modules over, did you also reset the switch?

You can only hot-swap the same type of module. If you exchange a module for a different type the switch needs to be rebooted.
Zeke Khirbash
Occasional Contributor

Re: Switch modules exchang

Yes, I recycled both switches but that didn't correct the problem. It seems like the CAM tables got corrupted, would that be accurate? And if the CAM tables got corrupted what it the way to correct them?
Rich S
Honored Contributor