1752567 Members
4950 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Switch to Server trunking with SLB

Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Switch to Server trunking with SLB

I am trying to setup trunking between an HP 5308 and an HP server which is running the HP teaming drivers/software using two 100mb connections.

We are able to create fault tolerant links but cannot effectively load balance across the links using either mac or ip based algorithms.

On the HP switch I have tried trunking modes FEC, LACP static and HP TRUNK. In testing between multiple clients and the server the traffic only ever utilisies one of the links. Spanning Tree is also disabled and the links are hard coded for 100/Full.

We are in the process of moving from Cisco to HP so I was able to test this in a Cisco 4006 at the same time using Cisco FEC. This DID work and load balanced with the server correctly across both links.

I've gone through all the documentation I can find and really there isn't anything else to configure on the HP switch that I can think of. It seems odd that we cannot get this working between to HP devices.

Has anyone got this working correctly?
7 REPLIES 7
HRE
Valued Contributor

Hi Jason,

If I'll remember the HP documentation correctly, load balancing is only done by meshing. You can find more information about that theme in the "advanced traffic management guide" for series 5300xl switches on page 7-2. http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/5300xl.htm

HRE
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Would not meshing be restricted to inter-switch links rather than switch to server/client links?
HRE
Valued Contributor

That's what i told you. So you can't use load balancing on a server trunk with this HP switches.
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the further reply but I'm still confused. You are saying server load balancing is not possible with HP switches, yet in the HP Network Adapter Teaming documentation they specifically say intelligent switches (HP Procurve, Cisco, Nortel, Intel) are required and capable of load balancing.

I do believe what you are saying though as our own tests seem to conclude that the HP switches only provide fault tollerance to servers.
HRE
Valued Contributor

Pardon, but I havn't seen that doc. If you send the link I'll get a look on that doc.
HRE
David An

We are in the process of moving from HP switch to Cisco. We are using HP servers. I need more information about how to set up trunking between an HP server such as Proliant DL 380 and an Cisco 3750 Switch. The server need to access two vlan. Any information will be great appreciated.
koppendorfer
Occasional Advisor

use SLB (switch assisted load balancing) at the server and use trunk/FEC at cisco and procurves seee: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/networking/TeamingWP.pdf