cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch

David Davis_7
Occasional Advisor

Switch

I have a server I would like keep off the public LAN. Now let's say I give the server a static, private IP address without a gateway or dns info in the TCP/IP properties on the nic. Would any of the HP Procurve switchs be able to connect the two different IP ranges without having to install a second nic in each desktop that would need to access the above server? Something like a brouter too bridge the two. Would that be covered by a layer two switch? Or would something on the order of a layer three switch be needed?
3 REPLIES
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Switch

You don't really need any special switch (which wouldn't work anyway unless you add a router and do some natting). What you need to do is add a second IP address in the same range as your server to each of the two workstations which will access it. Assuming they are all in the same VLAN and connected to the same switch (or group of switches) they should then be able to talk to each other. You can do this without a second NIC on later versions of Windows:

These are the steps to add the second IP address to your existing network adapter.

Use the Start menu to open Control Panel.
On Windows XP, you may need to open Network and Internet Connections.
Open Network (and Dial-up) Connections.
Open your network adapter.
Click Properties.
Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click Properties.
Click Advanced.
On the IP Settings tab, click Add...
Type in the new IP address then click Add.
Click OK to close the Advanced TCP/IP settings window.
Click OK to close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.
Click OK to close your network adapter properties window.

Should work anyway.

Ron
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Hi !
Most of the Level 2 ProCurve switches support a static route table. You can use this facility to connect different broadcast domains. Very simple, I think.
BR,
Dmitry.
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Hi David,

Consider a simple scenerio where you have a switch that is simply configured. i.e. all ports are members of the default VLAN. That's a single "collision domain" where all L2 broadcast (ffff:ffff:ffff) will be seen on every port.

Here's how I read your question. You have a server that you want to assign a private IP address with no gateway and no DNS server. You want it to be plugged into the same switch that another IP range is plugged into. Two L3 broadcast domains are created on this switch by doing that.

Your desktops can have 1 single physical NIC but each NIC having 2 IP addresses, 1 in the same range as the server, the other in the same range as the rest.

p/s no security concerns are addressed in this proposal.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.