Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switches connection issues!

h4ng0ver
Occasional Advisor

Switches connection issues!

Hi all
We have two offices and each has an HP Procurve 2626. Office 1 has a DSL modem that I want Office 2 to get on the internet with, here's my configuration:
I have 1000FX link Office 1 and 2 via port 25(on both switches), at Procurve 2626 #1 (Office 1) I have a DSL modem connects to port 1
At Procurve 2626 #2(Office 2), I have our office wireless router connects to port 1. I also have a VLAN setup the same for all the ports used for the two switches (port 25 and port 1)
What am I missing? I haven't been able to figure out why it's not working and I already check my network configurations.
By the way, with Procurve Manager I can see the VLAN on both switches has connection, but when I use the link test on the switch web interface, it fails

Any help would be appreciated

Andy
7 REPLIES
evgeniy_paukov
Occasional Visitor

Re: Switches connection issues!

HI
you have two offices in different places?
VPN there?
h4ng0ver
Occasional Advisor

It's in the same complex just different buildings
Thanks
Andy
Marco Wessel
Valued Contributor

From your post I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve. What are you trying to set up? You want the modem to connect to the wifi router via the two switches?
h4ng0ver
Occasional Advisor

Hi Marco
Yes I would like to have the WiFi to connect to the DSL internet gateway.
The DSL modem is connected to switch 1 at Office 1, and switch 1 connects to switch 2(Office 2) via a fibre, and the WiFi is at office 2 connected to switch 2.
Thanks
Andy
Marco Wessel
Valued Contributor

Well, ok. Simply create a VLAN, number 100, say, and make the ports with the modem and the wifi router untagged members of it, and, assuming the uplinks are used for other things as well, make those tagged members:

(2626)# conf
(2626)# vlan 100
(2626)# untagged 1
(2626)# tagged 25

Obviously substitute vlan 100 for something appropriate to your situation. You've essentially laid a direct connection between these two devices now and they should be able to talk to eachother. If not, verify that the link between the two switches is indeed up (sh int 25).
h4ng0ver
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Marco
Do I have to create a seperate Vlan for both ports 25 on switch 1 and 2? do they need to be in the same Vlan with the wifi and dsl modem?
Really appreciate the help
Andy
Marco Wessel
Valued Contributor

If you want them to be able to talk to eachother, they have to be in the same VLAN.