1753693 Members
6326 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Syslog is not working on 5300XL

Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Syslog is not working on 5300XL

We have a Procurve 5300XL switch. While in the test bench the syslog logging was working fine. Now that I configured the switch as our production device, it is not logging anymore. Are there some kind of VLAN limitations or something?

Some settings:
sw E.07.22
logging 192.168.135.91 (that is in VLAN 235)
Primary VLAN: 1
Management VLAN: (none)

onni# sh debug

Debug Logging

Destination:
Logging --

Enabled debug types:
event
acl log

onni# ping 192.168.135.91
192.168.135.91 is alive, time = 1 ms

Syslog daemon is running and working with other devices.
14 REPLIES 14
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Did you check that your VLAN 235 was reachable from this swicth ? Is the server IP tagged to the default VLAN ?
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

The syslog server is reachable from the switch, as the ping output shows, and the syslog server as well as other hosts in the same subnet (and VLAN) can fully communicate with other hosts. Routing is working properly.

The syslog server is not directly connected to the 5300XL, there is a switch in between, and the VLAN 235 is untagged between the 5300XL and the syslog server.

Servers from any VLAN (routed by the 5300XL) can log to the syslog server.

I find this very strange because syslogging was working in the testing phase.
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Mmmm... strange indeed.
In some swicthes (don't know if 500XL is concerned), management VLAN must be left on VLAN 1 for any distant administration related process to occur. Check that.
Besides, don't you have in between access lists set somewhere, refusing port 514 UDP ? This could also be an issue.
Last, try reseting and re-setting your config. Sounds like a m$ trick, but works often.
hth
J
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Currently the VLAN 1 is not in use, meaning that there are no devices connected to VLAN 1 ports. I did the following:

- defined an IP address for VLAN 1 (192.168.99.1/24)
- attached a syslog server (192.168.99.2) to a VLAN 1 member port
- logging 192.168.99.2 (leaving the old 192.168.135.91 still there)

Surprise: logging worked fine on that new syslog server.

But, additionally, there were logging also on the old server! Source IP was shown to be 192.168.99.1, address of VLAN 1 router interface.

Then I disconnected the new server, removed the logging 192.168.99.2 statement, and removed the IP address of VLAN 1.

Result: The old syslog server is receiving *some* of the messages, and the source IP is still 192.168.99.1, which is not in the 5300XL running-config anymore!

So, the next thing I will do is changing the primary vlan to 235. Let's see.
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

That seem to confirm this management VLAN... I saw also in an old HP switch stuff the necessity to have one management VLAN, even if it's not N??1.
It seems to be confirmed here...
Glad to see it's working. Let us know the end of the story !
J
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Changing the primary VLAN did not change syslogging.

I think everything is not correct in this software (newest image).

1. Why syslogging was enabled to a server in VLAN 235 when VLAN 1 was connected another syslog server? (btw there were some messages dated Jan 1 even though the switch has been running with correct date and time several days)

2. Why did only some of the messages arrive to the original syslog server when the new server was removed? (the same server gets all other messages from other sources)

3. Why the source address was 192.168.99.1 which was not in use in any configuration?

Management VLAN has not been set in any case.

Primary VLAN setting did not affect the situation.

Is anyone willing to share some facts about syslogging and 5300XL? The configuration manual does not say anything about syslog limitations (except that max 6 servers can be set).
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Markku,
You are right in saying that it's a strange issue. But VLAN 1 must exist if you define other vlans... So does its connecting IP. That is why you get this source address. If you have a VLAN compatible network, then there must be a switch acting as a server, which identifies the source even after you unset it... up to the time you set another IP to this port.
The partial messages remain strange.
A dump somewhere will show you why. My theory is that something has an ARP resolution able configuration, and route part of your messages properly, but I do not know your network and do not figure out which item play this role.
J
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

Now I have verified the behaviour.

If there is no IP address in VLAN 1, the syslogging won't fully work.

When I enter an IP address in VLAN 1, the syslogging works (in VLAN 235). Note that the VLAN 1 does not need to be up or have to have any active ports. Just having the IP address configured enables the logging.

As the VLAN 1 does not have any active ports in my configuration, that VLAN does not even appear in the routing table. This is correct by definition.

Once the logging is working, removing the IP address from VLAN 1 disables the syslogging after 2 messages.

When entering the VLAN 1 IP address, the switch sends some (10-20 maybe) *old* messages to the syslog server, and starts logging of new messages. Today, for example, when I entered the IP address, the switch sent syslog messages from last Friday to the server.

I was wrong when I said that the source address was the old IP address of the VLAN 1. This is not true. The source address is the address of the VLAN interface where the syslog server is located (this is how it should be). I was mislead by the fact the the 5300XL switch includes the IP address of VLAN 1 in the syslog message, for some reason (and the switch logs two messages even after removing the IP address from VLAN 1).

So, to conclude:
- 5300XL and E.07.22
- VLAN 1 has to have an IP address for syslogging to work
- No active ports in VLAN 1 are needed
- Management VLAN is not needed
- Primary VLAN setting does not affect
- Logging server can be in any VLAN
- This feature is not listed in the Management and Configuration Guide (for E.07.2x). Please correct me if this can be implied from some chapter.
Markku Leinio
Valued Contributor

I reported this on HP support and they are to contact me after testing it theirselves.

I will post the final responses here also.