1753964 Members
7900 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tagged vlan on HP2626

LOSCOS Maryline
Occasional Advisor

Tagged vlan on HP2626

I would like to configure tagged vlan on my HP2626 but it doesn't work ...

Here is the configuration of my switch :

Int 1 - server
- vlan1_untagged
- vlan2_tagged
- vlan3_tagged
Int 2 - workstation1
- vlan1_no
- vlan2_untagged
- vlan3_no
Int 3 - workstation1
- vlan1_no
- vlan2_no
- vlan3_untagged

I want my server to see workstation1 and workstation2 but I don't want workstation1 to see workstation2...
I don't want them to be in different network... I just want to prevent the two workstation to see each other...
Is it possible?
for the moment this configuration doesn't work because I can't ping the workstations from the server :o((

I really need help because I can't find what's wrong !

Thanks a lot in advance ...
maryline

3 REPLIES 3
HRE
Valued Contributor

Hi Maryline,

if your server is connected to int1, then you have to use a 802.1Q compliant NIC (because taggingis enabled) for your server. Be sure that this service is enabled on your NIC and, if necessary (see documentation of OS and NIC) set the correspondent VLAN tags to support the VLANs

regards
HRE
LOSCOS Maryline
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your response ...my "server" is a workstation for the moment because I need to test my configuration first ...

I know that the network-card of my workstation is 802.1Q compliant but I don't find where to activate the 802.1Q and I absolutely don't find where I could configure VLAN on the workstation.

Should I absolutely configure VLAN on the workstation ? I don't understand why it is not transparent for the workstation ?!

2nd question :o) : Do I have to define different Network for different VLAN in order to make it works ?

Sorry for my english, I hope you will understand my question :o)

maryline ...
HRE
Valued Contributor

For understandig 802.1Q VLAN please study these manual (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59908853-1004-Adv-Trff-Mgmt.pdf). Especial from page 2-3 and page 2-5. The tagging Information are additional Bits containing the VLAN information and a little bit more (802.1P) which where inserted into the frame so the framelenght growth up. The 802.1Q compliant device is able to understand these information. Otherwise you have to untag the interface. Please refer to the NIC Manual or contact the manufacturer of these NIC. As an example, I know that it is possible to setup the MCP-T included NIC from the nForce 2 Chipset by editing the .INF file.

Regards
HRE