1748163 Members
3786 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Telnet Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution

Telnet Problem

Hi,we have a 5304xl core switch and 2626 edge switches on different floors. On the core there are different VLANS for each Floor(ip routing enabled). Edge switches are configured on default vlan 1 only (out of the box configuration). I created an ip for each edge switch on order for me to manage it remotety but the problem is I can only ping and telnet the ip I created on each switch when I am on the same subnet or floor. What might be the problem that I cannot telnet or ping the ip of the switch when I am on a different subnet/floor? Thanks for your help!
8 REPLIES 8
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

You need to set the default gateway for those switches to point back to the correct VLAN address of the 5300's:

ProCurve Switch 2626(config)# ip default-gateway

Matt

Tnx for your help. I set a default gateway on my edge switch on the 11th flr. which is the ip of the vlan 11 in the core switch. But still I can't telnet it when I'm on a different flr.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

You'll also need to check your default gateway is set correctly on the PC that you're using.

If you're still stuck, attach a copy of the config from the 5300, and one of the 2600's, plus the output of the 'ipconfig' from your PC. Also if you have a network map you could attach that would help.

Don't forget to assign points to posts along the way.

hello, attached is the configuration of the core switch. I did not attached the settings of the edge switch since it's using a default settings (vlan 1 only). I can ping the PC connected on the edge switch but cannot ping or telnet the ip of the edge switch itself. Thanks!
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

If you can ping PC's connected to the edge switches, but not the edge switches themselves - it points back to the edge switches not having a default gateway set on them, or the wrong one set. You may also want to try a 'clear arp' on the core switch.

For the one in VLAN 11 you mentioned it should be plugged into port A4 on the Core switch with it's default gateway set to 192.168.11.254.

If you submit a question or new topic and another member replies to it, you will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time.

How many points should I assign to replies?
Use the following scale as a guideline:

o N/A: The answer was simply a point of clarification to my original question

o 1-3: The answer didn't really help answer my question, but thanks for your assistance!

o 4- 7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help!

o 8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! Now I'm a happy camper!

I can already ping the ip of the edge switch but I cannot telnet it. (could not open connection to the host)
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

I think two things are possible in that case. Either the maximum telnet sessions on the switch have been reached (4), or something else has the same IP address of the edge switch.

If you console in to the switch and type 'show telnet' it will show the active sessions, you can 'kill' them, and in the future set 'console inactivity-timer' to prevent that happening again.

To see if something else has the same IP address, on the core switch, type 'show arp' find the IP address and make sure it matches up with the right mac-address.

Thanks Matt, I can already telnet the switches. I found out that it has the same address.