1751935 Members
5012 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Terminal session access fails

Pete13
Advisor

Terminal session access fails

I have turned on a test switch which I had not used for a couple of weeks. Tried to get access via a Teminal session (using a previously working session) but that didn't work.

I did a "hard" reset on the switch and connected again (tried speeds between 9600 &115200,8,N,1 with no flow control )but the session halts after the following message:

"Waiting for Speed Sense. Press twice to continue."

If I press enter twice (or more) nothing happens.
14 REPLIES 14
Pete13
Advisor

I am able to get to the switch now via HP Procurve Manager but terminal session still doesn't seem to do anything.
Paulen
Regular Advisor

See this thread: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1398489

HP has long ignored the fact that people actually want to access their switches. Go figure.. Maybe one should make a feature request?
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

What are you using as your terminal emulator? I find that hyperterminal yields the best results, although I use PuTTY in a pinch.
Pete13
Advisor

Both HT and Putty give me the same result.
Michael_Breuer
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I suggest the following:

1) factory reset the switch and try again
2) if problem still exist I recommend open a support ticket to get a hardware exchange

Cheers,

Michael
Ingentive Networks GmbH
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

When you say Terminal, are you referring to Console cable/Serial Access? as connecting through PCM would be via telnet or SSH.

When you reboot the switch with the cable attached, can you see the boot process happening on the screen?

When I have had this issue, I have rebooted the switchc with the cable attached and successfully that way. also probably update the firmware.

ARe there any lights or anything on the switch? from the telnet through PCM, can you see any log information? if there are errors in the logs then probably contact HP and arrange for a raplacement.

Trev.
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

ALso, I use Secure-CRT, hasnt failed me yet.
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

1st remove any cables connected to the switch and any modules if available.

then try to go to rom mode using the reset+clear combination but instead of removing the clear after the TEST led starts blinking just wait untill it stops blinking then release the clear, connect to console and you should see => prompt. now try the command jp 1
if not successful then try jp 2
let me know after that
Pete13
Advisor

When I reboot the switch with the cable in it, I can actually see the switch reboot. Gives me messages about uncompressing etc and then I get the message Waiting for Speed Sense. Press twice to continue".
I hit enter several times but nothing seems to happen.

When I close e.g. Putty and reconnect, it says the connection is there but all I get is a black screen with a cursor.