108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TimeP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Hill_3
Advisor

TimeP

My ProCurve 4000M switch does not appear to support NTP. It does support TimeP, a protocol I'm not familiar with.

We use NTP at my office and have an internal NTP server. Is there a utility for Windows 2000 or for UX-11i that can act as a TimeP server? Or is there a TimeP server on the internet? My Google search was overwhelmed with C source code. Ideally I'd like to set up one of my UX servers as an ntp client & server and a timep server.
4 REPLIES 4
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

The latest version of the software offers SNTP. See the release notes:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59692375_e1.pdf

SNTP appears to be a dumb version of NTP. Supposedly they can talk to each other.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2030.html

Ron
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

1. Forget TimeP.
2. Download c_09_16.swi (the latest HP 4000M operating system version) and install it on your switch.
3. On the switch config you may assign an IP address for the NTP server that is on an IP subnet other than the switch mgmt IP subnet.
4. You'll have time without the complications of TimeP.
Jon Hill_3
Advisor

The new firmware (on a lightly-used switch) did the trick. Now all I have to do is reboot every switch in the network!

Thanks for the assistance. I have a busy weekend ahead of me.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

One problem I had with SNTP on my HP Procurve 4000M is that these switches could not find the NTP server after a power failure! Maybe new revisions of the firmware will alleviate this, but for now I had to turn back to the TimeP server (which works fine with c.09.16 firmware)

Cheers!