1753856 Members
7323 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Traffic on VLANs monitoring

Adrian_93

Traffic on VLANs monitoring

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum but i read it for 2 months. I have read most posts on forum until yesr 2003 and haven't found solution for my problem so I decided to write this post. I have HP 5300xl switch. I would like to monitor traffic on VLANs (not on ports). I used snmpwalk program to see the whole MIB on switch and didn't find OIDs describing the amount of traffic flow in each VLAN. To be honest I have to tell that this OIDs exist but the maount of traffic is still 0. I had a 3Com 4900 switch earlier and there were such OIDs. I was able to read them without problem. The amount of traffic was successfully monitored. Do I need to activate somehow this feature to work on HP switch (like in CISCO routers)? If anybody successfully dealt with this problem, please help me. Sorry for my English but I hope You understand this post anyway.
2 REPLIES 2
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Try this OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1

Usin MG-SOFT MIB browser (see http://www.mg-soft.com/) i get a table called "ifEntry" having these columns that speak for themselfs:

ifIndex
ifDescr
ifSpeed
ifInOctets
ifOutOctets

You will find values for VLANs at the end of the table (you can recognize the interface reprezenting VLANs because they have ifSpeed=0)
Adrian_93

Thanks for Your reply. As You advised I installed a MG-SOFT MIB Browser Pro and started to work :) First I entered an OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1 ,pressed RMB and chose "Walk". In the results I got variables which You mentioned: ifIndex, ifDescr, ifSpeed, ifInOctets and ifOutOctets. I saw this variables earler using an SNMPView from WhatsUp Gold package too. The main problem is that variables: IfInOctets and ifOutOctets for each of my VLAN (in my case this is for example ifIndex=387) shows 0. My question is: do I have to write something in HP Procurve 5308 xl switch configuration to force this function to work? As I mentioned in my previous post, earlier I had a 3Com 4900 switch and there I found this values. Do You find for Your VLANs on HP Procurve switch any values different from 0 for ifOutOctets and ifInOctets variables?