Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic on VLANs monitoring

Adrian_93
Occasional Visitor

Traffic on VLANs monitoring

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum but i read it for 2 months. I have read most posts on forum until yesr 2003 and haven't found solution for my problem so I decided to write this post. I have HP 5300xl switch. I would like to monitor traffic on VLANs (not on ports). I used snmpwalk program to see the whole MIB on switch and didn't find OIDs describing the amount of traffic flow in each VLAN. To be honest I have to tell that this OIDs exist but the maount of traffic is still 0. I had a 3Com 4900 switch earlier and there were such OIDs. I was able to read them without problem. The amount of traffic was successfully monitored. Do I need to activate somehow this feature to work on HP switch (like in CISCO routers)? If anybody successfully dealt with this problem, please help me. Sorry for my English but I hope You understand this post anyway.
2 REPLIES
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Re: Traffic on VLANs monitoring

Try this OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1

Usin MG-SOFT MIB browser (see http://www.mg-soft.com/) i get a table called "ifEntry" having these columns that speak for themselfs:

ifIndex
ifDescr
ifSpeed
ifInOctets
ifOutOctets

You will find values for VLANs at the end of the table (you can recognize the interface reprezenting VLANs because they have ifSpeed=0)
Adrian_93
Occasional Visitor

Re: Traffic on VLANs monitoring

Thanks for Your reply. As You advised I installed a MG-SOFT MIB Browser Pro and started to work :) First I entered an OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1 ,pressed RMB and chose "Walk". In the results I got variables which You mentioned: ifIndex, ifDescr, ifSpeed, ifInOctets and ifOutOctets. I saw this variables earler using an SNMPView from WhatsUp Gold package too. The main problem is that variables: IfInOctets and ifOutOctets for each of my VLAN (in my case this is for example ifIndex=387) shows 0. My question is: do I have to write something in HP Procurve 5308 xl switch configuration to force this function to work? As I mentioned in my previous post, earlier I had a 3Com 4900 switch and there I found this values. Do You find for Your VLANs on HP Procurve switch any values different from 0 for ifOutOctets and ifInOctets variables?