1753338 Members
5244 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trunk between Cisco2950 and DL380 NC3134

Strenge

Trunk between Cisco2950 and DL380 NC3134

Hi all,

we need to configure an VLAN trunk with 3 VLANs between a Cisco Catalyst 2950 and a DL380 with NC3134 Windows 2003 Server.

On the NC-port the 802.1 is already enabled and the 3 IP addresses are configured.
On the Catalyst, the switchport mode trunk with 802.1 encapsulation is also configured, see below:

But the Server get no ping-request over the VLANs to any IP segments.

Have anyone an idea?

Switch-Config:

interface FastEthernet0/13
description CUSTOMER_DMZ
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1Q
switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 2-1001
switchport trunk allowed vlan add 12,14,15
no cdp enable
!
interface VLAN12
description CUSTOMER_DMZ_12
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
shutdown
!
interface VLAN14
description CUSTOMER_DMZ_14
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
shutdown
!
interface VLAN15
description CUSTOMER_DMZ_15
no ip directed-broadcast
no ip route-cache
shutdown
6 REPLIES 6
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Re: Trunk between Cisco2950 and DL380 NC3134

Hi,

Not to hot on Cisco at the moment, But would you need to enter the 'No Shutdown' command for the VLANS to enable them?

Where there is a will there is a way...
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Strenge,
The VLAN interfaces on the switch itself is only used if you need to communicate directly with the switch on each of those VLANs (switch management, for instance). If you only need the server to talk to other hosts on the VLANs, the VLAN interfaces on the switch are not needed. If you DO need to manage the switch from ALL of those VLANs, then the "no shut" command needs to be done on all VLAN interfaces (as the previous guy mentioned)

You also need to configure the VLANs on the server. Simply enabling 802.1q tagging and adding all three IP addresses isn't enough.

You'll need to use "HP Network Configuration Utility", called NCU, to create the VLANs on the NIC (or on a Team of NICs if using Teaming).

Go to the Control Panel, double click on "HP Network" to get to the NCU utility. Highlight the individual NIC (or highlight the Team if using Teaming) and click on the VLAN button on the right hand side.

Add three VLANs with the VLAN IDs to match your switch interface (12, 14, 15). NCU will automatically enable 802.1q when creating VLANs.

Click OK and Apply.

After the HP NCU is finished creating the VLANs (you will see a message that it is finished), goto Network Properties and look for three NEW network interfaces labled with VLAN 14, VLAN 15, VLAN 18. Now assign the appropriate IP addresses for each VLAN to the interface for that VLAN on the server.

Let us know if that doesn't solve the problem.

Regards,
-sean
Strenge

Hi Sean, thanks for your answer,

we have tryed to create VLANs on the NIC (not on a team), but after OK and Apply we got an error message, "teaming could not create" and the VLAN was not created.

Why the utility tryed to create teaming, we configured only one NIC with the VLANs?

Thanks, Strenge
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Strenge,
Can you post a screenshot of the error you are getting? I haven't ever seen the error you mentioned.

I'll provide input after examining the screenshot.

Regards,
-sean
Strenge

Thank you Sean,

I have found the reason of me failure.
The utulity software support the configuiration, but my NICs don't support VLAN tagging and don't support 802.1q, so the VLAN don't get up.

From HP (compaq), the NIC NC320T do that, so I have to change the NIC.

Thank you all for reply,

M. Strenge!
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Strenge,
Can you tell me two things:
1. What NIC are you trying to do this with? What is the model number?

2. Who told you that 802.1q tagging isn't supported with that NIC?

I'd like to have this information because ever NIC we've released for HP ProLiant servers for the last several years has supported 802.1q. I want to make sure you were given the correct information.

Best regards,
-sean