108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trunking and VLANs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anders_35
Regular Advisor

Trunking and VLANs

I'm looking at a practice exam for the Adaptive EDGE fundamentals test. There are a few errors in the test, but one question has got me doubting:

Basically, the question is: if your port XX is a tagged member of VLAN yy, and you add it to a trunk, what's the effect on VLAN yy?

The answer given is that the port will continue to forward VLAN yy, while the rest of the trunk ports will not.

Is this correct? I thought only the whole trunk, not it's individual ports, could have VLAN memberships.

Cheers,
Anders :)
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Trunking and VLANs

You're right, if you have a port and it is tagged in a VLAN, if you then add it to a trunk it will become an untagged member of the default VLAN only. At that point you then need to add the trunk to whatever VLAN memberships it requires.
Anders_35
Regular Advisor

Thanks, I thought it sounded a bit weird...

But so does a lot of the other questions. I'm never getting a practice test like this again, it's soooo bogus.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

If you're clever enough to pick up the mistakes like that you'll pass the exam no problem at all.

Just remember when using spanning-tree to tag all VLANs on your switch to switch links!