108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Trunking on 5412zl

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Jongewaard
Advisor

Trunking on 5412zl

I have a 5412zl procurve. We upgraded our VMWare infrastructure to vSphere 4 and i'm wondering in the case of dvSwitches...

I have 3 servers with 8 NICS and I want to trunk them but want to split them up across different modules in the 5412. Is it possible to have one trunk group across different modules so that I have some redundancy for my ESX hosts?

I have a rough drawing of what I want to accomplish while maintaining all connectivity to my NICs on each ESX host. The diagram only shows 2 NICs but each ESX host actually has 8 NICs.

IS this possible on this switch?

11 REPLIES 11
Adam Jongewaard
Advisor

For some reason the diagram never got attached. My apologies.
EckerA
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi,
you can trunk across different modules.
exp:
trunk a1,b1 trk1 trunk
works just fine.

hth

Alex
Adam Jongewaard
Advisor

ok. thanks.

Next is the 2nd part. In our DR site we are going to have 2 24 port switches which I have not purchased yet. Is there some way with procurve switches to trunk across 2 switches like with Nortel's split multi-link trunking?

I would rather not go with mstp since in that scenario I only get half my bandwidth and then fail-over will give me the other half. I would like to get full use of all ports unless one of the switches tanks.

Thanks for the help.

Adam
Adam Jongewaard
Advisor

ok, I think I may have answered my own question in browsing through the forums but I just want to verify here. The only way to do split multi-link type trunking is to use the 3500yl with VRRP.

No other way than that or using a chassis based switch in my DR site?

Thanks,
Adam
serpel
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
i guess what you want is dt-trunking. works with the 3500, 5400, 8200 and 6600 i think.
and you need software k.14.xx.
the disadvantage is you can only do dt-trunking or routing.

hth
alex
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

dont forget though, you can enable IP routing on switches running DT (LACP - Distributed Trunking). no VRRP that means.

Trev.
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Sorry, I meant CANT enable Routing.
kghammond
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

We have been trying to get distributed trunking working with vSphere and our HP switches.

We have the dt-lacp ports setup and we have the vswitches set to IP Hash.

On the HP switches, the ports don't show that there is a lacp member. The HP switches reported the same MAC on both ports (different switches), which we think is correct.

Also when we did this configuration and we tried to bring a vSphere box online, we received an error that HA could not be enabled.

ProCurve Switch 1(config)# trunk 23-24 trk1 lacp
ProCurve Switch 1(config)# switch-interconnect trk1
ProCurve Switch 1(config)# trunk 1 trk5 dt-lacp
ProCurve Switch 2(config)# trunk 23-24 trk1 lacp
ProCurve Switch 2(config)# switch-interconnect trk1
ProCurve Switch 2(config)# trunk 1 trk5 dt-lacp

We are trying the same thing as here:
http://www.vnephos.com/index.php/2009/09/hp-procurve-cross-stack-etherchannel/

I am not sure if we are doing something wrong, or if this simply does not work the way we expect it or what...

Thank you,
Kevin
Mads S├╕rensen

Hi Kevin

Did you solved your problem?

We are about to try the same with dt-lacp and vSphere. So it would be nice to know if we have to be aware of something special?

Thanks

/Mads