1753777 Members
7624 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Trunking two 5406zl core switches together for redundancy

Procurveadmin
Occasional Visitor

Trunking two 5406zl core switches together for redundancy

Hello, looking for some advice on proper configuration for trunking a second core 5406zl switch for redundancy!

Our network config is fairly simple. Currently we have our service coming in and configured through our firewall to connect to our main core 5406zl switch. I would like to connect a second core switch up to our main and have it configured as a redundant switch.

I am a cisco guy new to procurve switches. Would trunking be the best way to set these 5406's up to have a redundant backup? I do not believe you can stack these series of switches. Any ideas/help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

2 REPLIES 2
J4S
Frequent Visitor

Re: Trunking two 5406zl core switches together for redundancy

I have 8 5406 switches setup with "trunks" between them, although in procurve speak a "trunk" is just a port with all the vlans tagged through it.

It's very simple to configure, you just need to consider spanning tree within the environment to ensure you have your root bridge correctly selected, and that you have the correct ports blocking.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

Re: Trunking two 5406zl core switches together for redundancy

You probably want to run VRRP as the gateway redundancy protocol, possibly with MSTP and different instances to balance out traffic over different VLANs.