Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753900 Members
7219 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Two Fibre switch 2/8 for redundency

JIM70

Two Fibre switch 2/8 for redundency

I have a HP BL25p windows 2003 R2 with 4 blades, two interconnect switches both with dual HBA controllers, connected and booting to a MSA1000 Sans via fibre cables. I was able to configure the SANS and one of the HBA's on each of blades to boot from 4 separate OS partitions.

How do I configure the second HBA for redundency? I suspect I have to create Zones within the FC Switches ?

Also on my dual MSA controllers, I have only one connection assigned to the one HBA. How do you assign both controllers for redundency? Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Two Fibre switch 2/8 for redundency

Jim:

Looks like you posted this in the wrong forum.

To answer your question(s) though...

"How do I configure the second HBA for redundency? I suspect I have to create Zones within the FC Switches ? "

Yes, you should always using zoning. It is HP best practice. You would configure the second port of the hba in the same interface that the first one was configured. Through the iLo, reboot the server and hit CTRL + Q when the bios pops up. On the first bios screen, select the second adaptor hardware address and follow through like you did in the first round. Before you can do this, you will need to failover the MSA controllers so that the standby controller becomes the active controller. This is also how you can assign your logical disks to the second port.

If the controllers do not see the second port already, failing them over will definitely cause some problems. I suggest you shutdown all but one system to start with and as you complete them, you can keep them on and boot up another one.

All your servers should have identical WWID's except for the last hex. port 1 is "2" and port 2 is "3". Assign the disks to the right WWID's that appear and you should be good.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)