Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748199 Members
2567 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

USR 56K Faxmodem on rp2430 thru modemshare won't hangup.

Dee_3
Regular Advisor

USR 56K Faxmodem on rp2430 thru modemshare won't hangup.

Hi-
I have an USR 56K Faxmodem as the support modem on several rp2430 systems. This setup worked well, but now my office environment has introduced an RTS 16port ModemShare device (Device Master) using SpartCom software into the picture and there have been several concerns. The main one being the disconnect command. The rp2430 disconnect is fine, but the modem in the middle which is connected to the ModemShare device w/SpartaCom software does not receive it's "hangup", leaving that modem "online" and accruing phone line charges. Someone did inquire and it appears that both ModemShare and SpartaCom say that their components are working as "designed". I'm using an older version of HostAccess as my terminal emulation to connect to the rp2430. If I specifically select "Session" "hangup" from my screen session, it will get the message to the middle modem share, but I've now been asked why the HostAccess session can't notify the modem in some way when the "X" is selected to close the window session of HostAccess. Has anyone run into a situation like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Terri Christensen.
2 REPLIES 2
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: USR 56K Faxmodem on rp2430 thru modemshare won't hangup.

Why not ask Spartacom ? You should have had to buy a support option with ModemShare...
You can lean only on what resists you...
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: USR 56K Faxmodem on rp2430 thru modemshare won't hangup.

USR modems usually have S19 set to 0 as a default. S19 controls the inactivity disconnect time. Try setting it to 1 (one minute) or whatever works for your application and see if that solves the problem. Also verify that S10 is set to 7. This is the default loss of carrier detection timeout (7 tenths of a second without carrier and it drops the line). Also check &C0 (Normal Carrier Detect)and &D2 (Normal DTR operations).

Note: I am using a book on an older model sportster so check your current documentation to verify that it still uses the same commands.

Ron