Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752488 Members
5856 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to make my modem to dial (Compaq nx9010 + WinXP)

Paulo Andr├й de Andrade
Occasional Advisor

Unable to make my modem to dial (Compaq nx9010 + WinXP)

I am unable to make the modem of my Compaq nx9010 dial up a connection. I verified that the modem (Conexant 56K ACLink Modem) diagnostics runs OK (the only thing is that in one of its lines it says: AT#CLS=? - COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED). The modem is attached to COM2. When I try to create a Dial-up connection via the "New Connection Wizard" the options for creating a "Dial-up Connection" and "VPN Connection" are both grayed and do not allow me to select any of them.
4 REPLIES 4
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

What was wrong with keeping your other thread going?
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=736022

OK, so now you give a little more detail. Did you try to "Add..." the modem first using the "Phone and Modem Options" applet in Control Panel?

Does it show up under "Modems" in Device Manager? If not, have you tried adding it?

Maybe there is a GPO on your network that forbids you adding a connection. Have you checked with your network administrator?
Paulo Andr├й de Andrade
Occasional Advisor

Les, that was my first usage of this system and as I read your answer, I thought about my question and incorrectly decided that as the question was misconstructed I would not get a good answer. I offer to you that there is a need for improvement in this systm as I am replying to you without looking at your answer but only to my own question.
Attached you find a capture of the Phone and Modem Option of the applet you mention.
Yes, the modem does show up under "Modems" i Device Manager.
What you mean by GPO? The network I am in does not have an administrator (it's my home network).
Thanks for you help.
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Hi Paulo
I assume you are using the "Connect to network in my work place" in the first option menu. What about if you choose "Connect to the Internet"? Does it happens the same?
It seems to me that the problem is not the modem, but your XP installation... Try to use Hyperterminal just to see if you can connect at least to the modem and his answer to at&v.
Good luck
Jorge
Paulo Andr├й de Andrade
Occasional Advisor

The solution was to restart one service in the services.msc. I did not take note of the services I restarted. I will try to reproduce the problem and if there is a way to inform you of it I will do.