4516 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Unable to reach internet, kindly clarify trunk configuration

Janarguna
Occasional Contributor

Unable to reach internet, kindly clarify trunk configuration

Hi,

It would be very helpful, if you kindly help me solve my below issue. 

Please find the attachment for my network diagram.

1. Unable to reach internet if I configure my interface connected to firewall as trunk. Please find configuration

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/22
port link-mode bridge
port link-type trunk
port trunk permit vlan all

Also i am able to reach internet if i add the below command to the interface command

port trunk pvid vlan 10

but only for vlan 10.

2. I am able to reach internet through vlan 1 also.

3. My main problem is my vlan 12 is not getting internet access. Kindly help me with this.

Thanks,

Janarthan

3 REPLIES 3
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Why are you trying to trunk your VLANs to your firewall?

Presumably your devices' default gateways are on your Layer-3 switch, and you switch has a default route pointing at the firewall.

The firewall wil in turn require a route pointing at your switch for each subnet that's on your switch.

Also, you have extended a VLAN past your Layer-3 switch and onto the firewall. You should not extend a VLAN across multiple Layer-3 devices. Leave your 172.16.0.0/24 subnet for your firewall link and use something else for your VLAN10.

Janarguna
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thank you so much for valuable input . Now i am to reach internet. As you said the problem is right that I dint configure the return route on firewall. Thank you for your input.

Now I need one more issue to be solved, here is the scenario. 

I have 2 HP switches, i ahve enabled trunk between them and also I have enabled gvrp between them. I am unable to reach internet from the host connected to switch 2 whereas  I can from switch 1 as per the solution you gave. 

Below are the configuration done on switch 2,

1. Trunk to switch1

2. Enabled gvrp

3. Assigned port to particular vlan as same as switch 1 from where I can reach internet.

Please help me in this.

Thanks,

Janarthan

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Why use GVRP? Your design should dictate where your VLANs are, not some dynamic process.

The VLAN you have assigned to a port on Switch2 (as "untagged", I suppose) will need to be added to the interface that uplinks to Switch1 (as "tagged"). The switch1 port this link is connected to will also need the same VLAN added to it (as "tagged").

Much simpler than mucking around with GVRP.