Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1751952 Members
5124 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Understanding the 10Gbe data transfer

bassc

Understanding the 10Gbe data transfer

Hello all.I want to understand about fiber 10g switches data transfer. Before asking my question i want to explain you guys about my office. I have one server and 25 computers. This office is now working on 1g lan speed. Server and computers all have 1g network card. But data transfer speed is not enough anymore. Many users use files from server at the same time. Work load on server is getting heavier day by day and I think to upgrade data transfer speed to 10g. Server has 4 x 8 TB hard drivers with raid 10 mode. Disk perfomance is around 350MB/s. So 1g is able to transfer 125 MB/s and therefore I think to change the switch with 10g uplink port and add 10g network card on server. Here is my question ; if i change my swtich which one has 10g uplink slot. does switch send the data packages to server 10g actual speed (1.25 GB/s)? For example switch sums 10 pieces 1g ports (10x1g = 10g) and send packages to the server 10g actual/real speed on second? Does 10g fiber switch work as I described? Thx and good day