3649 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Update to PCM2.0+

Alen Ahja
Frequent Advisor

Update to PCM2.0+

Hi @ all,

we are running the PCM1.6+ yet and are thinking about to update it to PCM2.0+.

Can I upgrade the PCM1.6+ without problems?
Must I re-license it or will the Upgrade be free?

Thanx for help

Alen Ahja
4 REPLIES 4
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update to PCM2.0+

I tried doing an in-place upgrade and it went terribly wrong. I ended up having to scrub all traces of PCM and install it again.

The upgrade is not free and must be re-licensed.

Beware that PCM2 by default uses TelNet during discovery to all the switches several times a day. If the security risk is a concern, you should look into changing over to SSH.
Alen Ahja
Frequent Advisor

Hi Thanx for answer,

We planned to change to SSHv2 instead of using TELNET. Is the using of SSHv2 possible with PCM2.0+?

Can I configure that only the PCM can use Telnet and all other must use SSH?

Alen Ahja
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

The answer I got from the lab is as follows:
"The customer can certainly change this to use SSH by selecting that as the default communication protocol in ├в preferences->device access->CLI├в . If they have manually configured any of their devices to NOT use the global defaults then they will need to target those devices with the ├в Communication Parameters in PCM├в wizard and configure them to use SSH rather than Telnet."

I have not yet found the time to do so and still use telnet. I can take the measured risk of using telnet on rare occasions because the odds of someone intercepting session packets are rare but when PCM does it on a scheduled basis many times a day to many devices, the odds become astronomical. Mine is just a small network. Large networks present greater opportunities for traffic to be intercepted.
Alen Ahja
Frequent Advisor

Hi Les,

ok - it will work with some changes.
I will test it, when I bought the PCM2.0+ Upgrade License.

Thanx for help.

Alen Ahja