cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Procurve 2500 Switch

Kristopher
Occasional Contributor

Updating Procurve 2500 Switch

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade 5 procurve 2500 switches to the lastest firmware/os.

One of our switches however has revision F.02.02, ROM F.01.01

The documentation for the 5.22 version says to backup any existing versions which are below 5.17

I've figured out how to backup the startup and running configurations from the switch using an tftp server.

my question is what will happen when i update to the latest software? all that i have setup on the switch is a programmed IP address. will this be lost and will i have to set this backup?

also is the point of backing up the configuration files to restore them in case the update to 5.22 does not work? in which case how do i reset the switch to factory defaults and reload the saved files? im assuming using a console session?

Thanks,
Kris
2 REPLIES
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Updating Procurve 2500 Switch

Hi Kris,

After you upgrade the firmware the switch will reboot. The config is not lost. The reccomendation is just in case...

The point of backing up is that if for any reason the upgrade fails then you have your config ready to be uploaded on a new switch.

The factory reset is done by pressing both reset and clear on the front of the switch. then let go of reset and hold clear for 2 sec. more then release the switch will reset and reboot. all config is gone. You have to use a console session to configure the switch.

Regards,

SCOOTER
Kristopher
Occasional Contributor

Re: Updating Procurve 2500 Switch

thanks for the information!

If I have the switches set with a manually entered IP Address will I loose this when I update the FW?

I'm assuming I will not because you say the config is not lost..?

thanks again.
Kris