New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading 10/100 Network to GBIT Network

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Upgrading 10/100 Network to GBIT Network

Hi,

I've been assigned to upgrade our legacy 10/100 network with Gbit network. Currently, we have a Cisco 5509 swith with several Cisco 2924 in place. The network has decent performance and up-to-date with all the patches. I would like to know what would would be the best way to upgrade my network and if all possible, can I implement a way that I can run parallel and slowly move one device over to the GBit network on my own pace??

I am open to all suggestions and tips.

Thanks,
J
7 REPLIES 7
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I don't know a great deal about the Cisco devices but i presume that in order to upgrade to Gbit you will need to replace the hardware.

A switch running Gbit on all ports will work in parallel to a switc running 10/100 so there would be no problem running both at the same time in order to swap over slowly.

HP's 2800 series have 10/100/1000 connections on all ports and we run it along side our existing 10/100 HP Switches.

If you know what hardware you want to buy, just configure the same as your existing devices and install it and you should be fine!

Hope this heps a little....
Where there is a will there is a way...
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I would pass on the 28xx in favor of the 34xx series as it has much better memory management.
The original question leaves way too much to conjecture since we don't know anything about the current ISL links or needs/growth/etc. Even a site map of existing layout would help.

Are you looking to forklift the Cisco gear, replace just the core, or is HP gear even being factored? HP does have network engineers you can work with on your design.
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Les - Good point. At this point, I'm still waiting for more info on the budget for this porject. We have a mixed Cisco and HP environment here, therrfore, I wouldn't count out HP or Cisco product. Also, a good feedback on leverage HP Engineer by having them help us with the design of the newly improved network backbone.

Thanks, Guys!!

J
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I would certainly take advantage of HP's design service. Just don't look at it as a shortcut for what would be your own in-house design but rather use it to validate your design or collaborate toghether on a design.

It sure helps to have that design in your back pocket if you run into some problems and support starts pointing fingers.

I had HP help me to design a forklift replacement of my Cisco core as well as putting HP on the edge, pushing some of my Nortel gear further to edge.
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Les - Another good point. Where I work, a lot of fingers pointing when something doesn't go well, even when you have no control of the circumstances.

I see you have a lot of experience with networking and upgrading the network's infrastructure - may I ask, what was the outcome of the last project or most recent?

Would it be possible for me to see your proposal or the layout of your new network infrastructure? You can blank out the IP addresses and the confidential info. If possible, I can give you my e-mail so that you can e-mail me directly.

I am a newbie to the GBit network world and still learning.

Thanks!
J
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Don't give me too much credit. There are a lot of people here much smarter than I.

I did have quite a rocky start with my forklift replacement due to some nasty issues but I do not want to disparage HP. I have already burned a few bridges (and maybe a few crosses) but I since buried the hatchet. There was lots of finger pointing and I get shivers thinking how much worse it might have been had HP not been involved in the design.

Some of my issues are on public record and you are free to review the topics I started:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/pageList.do?userId=CA1185869&listType=question&forumId=1

We got the big issues finally put to rest but it set my project back more than a year and my Cisco core is still in service with the HP mesh running beside it.

As for the design, I take responibility for not scrutinizing it and so ended up with limited scalability. It is a layer 2 gig mesh over MMF design and I overlooked the hop count limitation. In hindsight, I should have put in SMF to overcome the distance limits and had a less convoluted mesh.

All I can say is that at the end of the day, it will be your network and you alone will be held accountable for the design so scrutinize it well. There is an old saying that "you get what you pay for" so if you want a second opinion, you might consider paying a consultant.

Attach your existing network layout along with some of your requirements and I am sure there are many here that will advise you. There are many factors to consider like layer 2 vs. 3, distance, redundancy, QOS, security, bandwidth/protocol usage, and future scalability.

The School of Hard Knocks is a very mean teacher because she gives the exam before the lesson.
Indrajit_1
Valued Contributor

Hi;

It is a good idea to go with Gigabit switch.it will give u better performance and better bandwidth across ur network.

i won't say it will bring u network bandwidth of 10/100 gbps until and unless u upgrade ur NIC card and cables(fibre optic). As a network admin u should always think abt future and flexibility.

If we talk abt network switches, i think cisco switch is the best option. i have worked with both cisco and hp switch. But, compare to hp swtiches cisco switch is the best.

don't compromise with the quwality..

Cheers
indrajit
Never Ever Give Up