1753964 Members
7373 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: User-defined Devices in PCM 2.1

Werner Weiss
Occasional Advisor

User-defined Devices in PCM 2.1

I tried to add a user-define device in PCM 2.1 as described in the manual. So I create an udt file and an ude file, placed in the directory ../server/config/devconfig/extern.
After I switched to PCM and select "Re-scan for user-defined devices". All steps as described in the manual, but I cannot see the new device in PCM.
I tried to rename the files, delete the files and create them new. I also restarted PCM - no results.
SNMP is working on the device, I tested it...
13 REPLIES 13
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

After creating ".udt" and ".ude" files and pleace them in "extern" directory, place images also in this directory, YOU MUST RESTART the SERVER, before you do the Scan.

If this doesn;t work, check the parameters in both files and images associated with them then Restart the Server again.

Good Luck !!!!

Science for Everyone
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Nice example Matt !
Science for Everyone
Werner Weiss
Occasional Advisor

Thank's for your help.
Renaming to .udd bring up the device in the list, but it isn't shown in the map.
The images are placed in the right directory...
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

It may take time to show up in the map, have you re-run the discovery? If it still doesn't show up, can you attach the custom files you've been working with?
Werner Weiss
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have restarted discovery and I tried to restart the whole server - no success.
I will attach my file
Thank's again for your assistance
MsE
Advisor

I think the key which is being used to associate a set of files is the SYSOID value. So try setting the SYSOID value the same in both files.
As I found out about the typo in the manual I went out to the woods to chop some wood because it had cost me hours, then I decided to not use the examples anymore. I guess you you put the "FW1" and the "FW1-1" because you saw that in the manual? I used the same identifier in both files and it works well. Further on I always used the same file names for a set of files. If it doesn't affect the functionality it's at least more clear ;o)
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

I tried this out the other day, forgot to post back. I was able to get my ProLiant discovered but I was never able to get it to map. Has anyone else been able to?

I suspect that it probably will never map since it does not support LLDP/CDP/FDP or the Bridge MIB.

The manual states though that it should at least be there as an unmapped device..
Werner Weiss
Occasional Advisor

Hi Sebastian,

I have tried to use the same sysoid, and I have used the same filenames. the Device comes up in the list, but it was not shown in the map.
But it was a good idea! Thank's