1752627 Members
5017 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VLAN ACL

gewonet

VLAN ACL

Hi Everyone,

i am new in ProCurve ACL's and all the ACL types and options are making me crazy....

I have a 5412zl with 10 vlans:
vlan1 172.16.255.254/16 (for administration)
vlan2 172.17.255.254/16 (Servers and next hop to Internet)
vlan3 172.18.255.254/16 (user vlan 1)
vlan4 172.19.255.254/16 (user vlan 2 )
and so on.....

Vlan-routing and Internet access from every vlan works fine.
Now, i want do prevent every traffic between the user vlans, every vlan should have only access to server vlan (vlan 2).

so i create my access-list for testing:
ip access-list extended "acl-vl3-to-inet"
permit ip 172.18.0.0 0.0.255.255 172.17.0.0 0.0.255.255
vlan 3 ip access-group acl-vl3-to-inet in

now i can't ping any host in another vlan,
ping all host in Server vlan, but i have no access to internet.
Can anybody help me, and give me some sample commands to enter on the switch?
Tanks
3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Re: VLAN ACL

First to know, at the end of the ACE list is a hidden implicit "deny any", so whatever does not pass a test line, gets denied, which is what you are seeing.

You should add a "allow ip any" at the end of the ACEs if you need traffic to pass that wasn't in the test lines.

You applied your acl to the inbound (pkts coming into vlan3), but you really wanted to apply it at vlan2.

To me, you could employ a couple of types of ACLs:

RACL - routed acl's to test the traffic coming into vlan...only layer 3 traffic and can be applied in or out

VACL - vlan acl's to block inter-vlan traffic...only layer2 - the vlan broadcast domain traffic, and once applied is for in only traffic test.

1) apply the specific subnets you want to access the server vlan as ACL in on vlan2

2) apply a VACL on the other vlans to block the traffic from each client on that vlan

a) your example acl would be to apply it as "in" on vlan2 - that is a RACL

b) create an acl looks like:
-
ip access-list extended "acl-vl3-to-vl3"
permit ip 172.18.0.0 0.0.255.255
vlan 3 ip access-group acl-vl3-to-vl3 vlan
-

Step b) above is a VACL.

====

Get this CLI ref guide from the HP Networking site and look in the vlan section for basic quick examples: (starting at pg 197)

http://h10144.www1.hp.com/docs/training/HP-Networking-and-Cisco-CLI-Reference-Guide_June_10_WW_Eng_ltr.pdf

This guide has alot of other "stuff" in it, including comparisons between ProVision ASIC, Comware5, and Cisco CLI's, but it allows for perhaps a bit easier learning when trying to implement a specific feature/function than sometimes reading the actual manuals.

hth...Jeff
gewonet

Thanks for your advise, it was very helpfull for me to understand the basics of ACL's.
gewonet

I have solved the problem.