1748280 Members
4070 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN Bridging

PowderBoy

VLAN Bridging

Hello,

I'm currently using an Procurve 2626 and I need to have two VLAN's that originate from an external VLAN trunk to come into the switch where they are both untagged and have a range of ports that can access both untagged VLAN's.

I.E:

Port 26 = VLAN Trunk (Two VLAN's at present)
Port 24 = Untagged VLAN ID 750
Port 23 = Untagged VLAN ID 751

Switch Config for above:
vlan 750
name "VLAN_750"
tagged 26
untagged 24
exit
vlan 751
name "VLAN_751"
tagged 26
untagged 23
exit
primary-vlan 750

I would like to use both untagged ports 23 and 24 in a port grouping on the switch, say ports 1-8. How is this possible? Can I use port trunking?

Thanks,
James.

7 REPLIES 7
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

It is not clear what do you mean by the port grouping.
Do you want to tut more untagged ports to vlan 751 and 750?

Use this

vlan 750
name "VLAN_750"
tagged 26
untagged 1-8, 24
exit
vlan 751
name "VLAN_751"
tagged 26
untagged 9-16, 23
exit
primary-vlan 750
PowderBoy

Have a look at the attachment.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

This is a really unusual design. A port cannot be an untagged member of more than one VLAN. If you want 2 VLANs to be able to talk to each other you should use routing.

You might be able to do what you're trying to achieve by creating a 3rd VLAN and then connecting both of those untagged links from the other VLANs into this 3rd VLAN. You would effectively be joining all 3 VLANs into 1 VLAN.

You would really want to test this thoroughly though, I have a feeling that that spanning-tree wouldn't like it at all.
PowderBoy

Thanks Matt,

I don't need the two VLAN's to talk to one another directly or via IP, I jest need the traffic from each one to be aggregated into a port grouping on the switch.
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

The port can be untagged member of only one vlan. If you want dynamically change VLAN assignment you can implement 802.1X
Can you please describe you business needs? It is looks like you are wrongly wraps you business needs to a technical details.
PowderBoy

Sergej,

Please see the attachment. Simply, I want the traffic from two different VLAN's to be aggregated into a group of ports. The equipment that is plugged into those ports will take care of itself.
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

Configure the "equipment" for Q-trunking. Almost all desktop network cards support VLANs. Sometimes you need to install additional driver.
Each VLAN will create a virtual network card. Assign different IP addresses for each VLAN interface on the "equipment". Configure switch side for Q-trunking also. That will do the trick.

What kind of the equipment do you have?