RonniDK
Advisor

VLAN, GVRP and port-assignment using?

I have a couple of switches:
ProCurve 4108GL
2626PWR
2600-8-PWR
and a linux-based firewall.

Every thing is linux-based so we dont have a directory-service as fx Active Directory.

There are several static VLANs configured. I want to use GRVP to distribute the VLANs, which I found should be pretty straight forward except for the port-assignment for the different VLANs.
I found that I need to do this manually at each switch, which results in a lot of work.

We have 5 departments which reside on their own subnet. I want to assign the ports on the switch, and thereby the user, to the right VLAN based on a username and password. I've looked into TACACS+ and RADIUS but cant find anything regarding port-assignts and VLANs.

Is it possible?

Is it also possible, using TACACS+, RADIUS or someting else to store login-information to the switches, so we wont need to distribute a username and password for these, but instead using our own username and password?
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: VLAN, GVRP and port-assignment using?

Both of these things are possible.

You can use RADIUS assigned dynamic VLANs with 802.1X for your user port assignments.

Likewise, you can use TACACS+ or RADIUS to enable login management access to your switches.

Being linux based, you'd probably want to use FreeRADIUS.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

I make test with microsoft ias service and procurve switches this operation very successfull

I don't make test free redius

cenk
cenk

RonniDK
Advisor

We choose not to use GVRP.