108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VLAN Routing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Mann

VLAN Routing

Hi,

We have recently purchased 5 HP switches (1 x 5412zl, 2 x 5406zl, 2 x 2900-48G).

We are intending to configure all switches within the same site, with both of the 5406zl's connected to the 5412zl via trunked SX uplinks, and both of the 2900-48G's connected to the 5412zl via single SX uplinks. The 5412zl will be connected to our Internet router and has the majority of servers connected to it.

We are intending to operate up to 8 VLANs across the network, all VLANs will be required on the 5412zl, however only some VLANs will be required on the other switches. All VLANs will need to communicate with one another, and we will look at some simple access lists in the near future.

I have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to offer advice:

1) I was going to setup the 5412zl as an ip router with a route of 0.0.0.0/0 to the Internet router, configure the VLANs that are required on each switch, tag the Trunks / uplinks, and setup IP addresses on the VLANs where necessary. With this setup do the other switches need the ip routing setting turned on?

2) Do VLANs with the same ID need a unique IP set on each switch?

3) In this configuration, can the switches other than the 5412zl route between VLANs locally? If not how should I achieve this?

Regards

Matthew
4 REPLIES 4
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: VLAN Routing

1a) No, the other switches do not need need ip routing to be enabled.

2a) Each switch needs a unique IP address, you should not use the same IP address again twice in your network. Since the 5400 will be doing the routing, it will need an IP address for each VLAN. The other switches only need an IP address for management, so decide on a management VLAN and give them each a unique address for that VLAN only.

3a) No, only the 5400 will route between the different VLANs. I would say this is the preferred method if you want to keep things simple (which is usually the best option).

Matthew Mann

Thanks Matt,

So to clarify; all switches other than the 5412 dont need an IP address for each VLAN they are configured with (except for the management VLAN which will have a different IP on every switch); clients will work fine when connected to ports on any VLANs on any switch using the 5412 IP address for that VLAN as the default gateway?

I have one last thing to clarify; if I have servers and clients on two different VLANs on one of the 5406 switches; all traffic will need to leave the switch over the trunked 1G fibre to route on the 5412 in this configuration; is there any way to have the traffic route locally between VLANs on this switch?

Regards

Matthew
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

"So to clarify; all switches other than the 5412 dont need an IP address for each VLAN they are configured with (except for the management VLAN which will have a different IP on every switch); clients will work fine when connected to ports on any VLANs on any switch using the 5412 IP address for that VLAN as the default gateway?"

Correct.

"I have one last thing to clarify; if I have servers and clients on two different VLANs on one of the 5406 switches; all traffic will need to leave the switch over the trunked 1G fibre to route on the 5412 in this configuration; is there any way to have the traffic route locally between VLANs on this switch?"

Your assumption here is also accurate, it will need to be routed by the 5412.

To do this you would also need to configure the 5406's to also be routers each with an IP address in those respective VLANs. Ideally you'd also configure MSTP which would give you some level of load balancing but with some asymmetric routing.

I wouldn't bother with this unless you really think you are going to be saturating those uplink ports. Even then, I'd prefer to put 10GbE uplinks to the 5412 and let it handle it.
Matthew Mann

Thanks Matt,

I will proceed with the single 5412 routing switch.

Regards

Matthew