1751966 Members
4774 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VLAN Trunk on 2510-48 to WRT54GS with DD-WRT

Chris Conlan
Occasional Contributor

VLAN Trunk on 2510-48 to WRT54GS with DD-WRT

I currently have a WRT54GS v3 setup with DD-WRT mega and all the info for VLANs setup.

I logged into the CLI interface and know that the "trunk" command is to be used to define the trunk. The output it gives with trunk ? is [ethernet] PORT-LIST. I know setting up a trunk is way different on a Cisco switch.

How do you go about setting up Port 50 as the trunk link? I currently have VLAN1 (default management), VLAN2 (Administration), VLAN3 (Students), and VLAN4 (Guest) setup via the web interface.

I'm at a loss right now.
3 REPLIES 3
Chris Conlan
Occasional Contributor

Re: VLAN Trunk on 2510-48 to WRT54GS with DD-WRT

Alright, after enable MENU when logging into the switch, I enabled TRK1 and TRUNK on Port 48.

The question I have is, when you go to VLAN Port Assignment and see TRK1 at the bottom, do all of the VLANs need to be TAGGED?
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Trunks in the Cisco terminology and trunks on HP switches (and most other networking devices for that matter) mean very different things.
A Cisco trunk is related to VTP (VLAN trunking protocol) which deals with the assignment of VLANs to inter-swtich links.
An 'HP trunk' deals with the aggregation of multiple switch ports to form a larger/more resilient pipe (an etherchannel in the Cisco world).
If you want to present a number of VLANs to your netgear then you just need to tag each of those on port 50 (or any port of your choosing). For example:

switch(config)# vlan 1 tag 50
switch(config)# vlan 2 tag 50

The basic rule is VLANs are tagged for inter-switch links and untagged for access ports. You can only have one untagged VLAN on a port but muliple VLANs can be tagged on the same port.
Chris Conlan
Occasional Contributor

I figured my issue out. I totally forgot to add the IPs for the VLANs (10.10.2.1, etc). Once those were set and I had the TRK1 set to TAGGED on all the VLANs, they were handing out the right IPs.