108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN and IP

Schweitzer
Occasional Contributor

VLAN and IP

Hello,
i┬┤ve a basic question.
Can I configure a procurve 2424M with a VLAN that has the IP-adress 192.168.0.1 and attach computers with other IP-adresses?

Is there an interrelationship between IP-adress of the VLAN-management-interface and the IP-adresses of the linked networkdevices?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

In General...

Unless you don't have a routing switch, its IP address is useful almost for Management.

Back to your question, there is no problem at all because your PCs gateway is pointing somewhere else that this switch.

Imagine a Network with one core, one Vlan and multiple edge switches, each switch and the core has an IP address in a particular subnet.

Now if we connected PCs, devices or whatever, with a DHCP server gives an IP address in different range, Everything will work fine without any problems.
I've seen such implementation so many times, with PCM+ running with dual interfaces, one has an IP in the same range of the Switches, and the other connected somewhere to get internet.

:)

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

As explained by Mohieddin this will not be an issue if the switch is not the default gateway for your clients.

When you assign an IP address to a VLAN you are in effect creating a virtual router for the clients associated with that VLAN.

May I ask what you are planning to achieve with this setup?