1752596 Members
5452 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN and port based stat via SNMP

Morten Isaksen

VLAN and port based stat via SNMP

Hi!

I use MRTG to monitor the traffic on a HP 5308. There is no problem doing this per port.

I have a couple of ports that has multiple VLANS assigned to them. How do I monitor the traffic going to/from each VLAN on a specific port?

Regards
Morten Isaksen
6 REPLIES 6
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Hmm

I know there are MIBs for VLAN performance, but that wont give you a VLAN-per-port

Tough one, maybe try walking the MIB?
Morten Isaksen

Can I get the total trafic to/from a VLAN? That should work for me too.
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Yes you should be able to. I walked the mib and found that my DEFAULT_VLAN is instance 205 (1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2) (ifDescr).205

206 is our VLAN 2 (this is on a 4104 not 5308, but mib should be the same)

so obviously you can use the traffic stats with instance 205 or 206 and that should be good
Morten Isaksen

There is no counter for the vlan instance on the HP switch. There is only a description.
Regnar Bang Lyngs├╕_2
Frequent Advisor

I don't think you can do what you want. Another approach which might work is to use sflow. I used that together with ntop http://www.ntop.org/ at some time in the past.

This will give you traffic statistics based on IP addresses - but this obviously only makes sense on layer 3, which might or might not be what you are looking for. Unfortunately sflow configuration is only possible through MIB. Another alternative is of course to use a mirror port and collect all the traffic using a collector.

Regnar
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

well humbug. I thought there would have been too :( Our cisco catalyst we have has VLAN counters, which is what we use to montior total stats vs per port on a VLAN...

dang...thought I was close getting the desc out :p