4330 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VLAN in VLAN

Superdust
Advisor

VLAN in VLAN

Hello

I have some switches (2626m) that I would like to run a trunk through a VLAN for one switch to another and then take the trunk out again.
Is this possible to achieve, or do I need a switch witch does support q in q?
Don`t think the 2626 supports this?
5 REPLIES 5
Superdust
Advisor

Re: VLAN in VLAN

Anybody got some thoughts on this?
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Superdust

Not the easiest question to answer with the data you gave.

If you just want to transport a vlan / group of vlan across the switch nothing special needed. ( Single tag )

But if you want to double tag a frame you need q-in-q which is not on the 2626. ( Double tagging )

If you can give a bit more detailed a scenario it would help, giving you a better answer.

HTH
Superdust
Advisor

The thing is that I have access to to other switches, witch are not mine.
And I need this to get from point A to point B. The thing is that on these switches, all I get is one VLAN.

I would like to transport my trunk of VLANs over this "leased" VLAN.
The switches on the leased line is 2626.

Any chance of achieving this in any way?
What would it take?
Superdust
Advisor

Bump :)

Need some ideas on how to solve this.
Mark Castle
Advisor

It sounds very much to me like your leased line provider needs to provide Q-in-Q services to you on their switches/equipment. Normally in that situation it doesn't matter whether or not your own switches can do Q-in-Q... your switch will send everything over the wire to your provider complete with Tagged and Untagged Vlans and it's your providers task to set their port to tunnel all of that through a single vlan using Q-in-Q.
Here in London one would expect to pay a premium for a provider to enable Q-in-Q though. Of course, some won't be able to if their switches/infrastructure simply doesn't support it. Alternatively you could ask them about Layer 2 circuits over an MPLS infrastructure. Many providers can now support that.

HTH