Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLAN on switch -- Do client machines need to be tagged for VLAN?

sierradump
Occasional Advisor

VLAN on switch -- Do client machines need to be tagged for VLAN?

I am planning a network to support 500+ PCs in an office environment. In order to minimize noise on the network - I plan to split the office up into subnets. (i.e. Marketing, Sales, Accounting, etc...). Each Dept. will have it's own subnet (192.168.1.x , 192.168.2.x , etc...).

Since all traffic is in the same building, I wish to utilize VLANS on my switch to limit noisy broadcasts... Each subnet will have it's own VLAN. i.e. 192.168.1.x would be VLAN 1, 192.168.2.x would be VLAN 2 etc...

I have the VLANs configured on the router, and corresponding ports on the switch.

My question is, say I have a PC that needs to be plugged into port 13 (tagged VLAN 4) on my switch -- do I have to set the NIC on the PC to be on VLAN 4? (port 13 would ONLY be tagged for that SINGLE VLAN.)
2 REPLIES
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Re: VLAN on switch -- Do client machines need to be tagged for VLAN?

Generally, device ports (computers, printers, cameras, etc) are 'untagged' into a vlan.

Switch-to-switch connections have their ports 'tagged' into all the vlans necessary in order to distribute the vlans throughout the network.

When ports are assigned to a vlan (untagged & tagged) that is an isolated broadcast domain, hence the "splitting up" the network. Even though a port may be assigned to multiple vlans (tagged) it keeps the traffic isolated due to the knowledge it has of the vlan's traffic (the "tag").

Port memebership rules for vlans:
1) a port must be assigned to a vlan (tag or untag)
2) a port can only be "untagged" into a max of 1 vlan at a time
3) a port can be "tagged" into many vlans

hth...Jeff
ARUNPRAKASH
Valued Contributor

Re: VLAN on switch -- Do client machines need to be tagged for VLAN?

Dear sierradump,

192.168.1.x , 192.168.2.x these are two different networks Not a different subnets.
http://welcome.hp-ww.com/img/s.gif
After creating the vlans in a switch we should assign those interfaces to the particular vlan.
You can add interface to more than one vlan is possible.

Cheers..!
Arun