1753774 Members
7031 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

VLAN over two ProCuve 2910al

BionicWave
Visitor

VLAN over two ProCuve 2910al

We have two ProCurve 2910al switches, connected via 1x lwl. One 24p and one 48p. I have to configure a VLAN that spans over the two switches and connects the WLAN-devices on each side, so that they do not overlap with our internal LAN.

I can configure VLAN on each of the switches, but my problem is the configuration of VLAN over LWL. It seems i have no option to put a tagged LWL-port into a VLAN.

On the remote switch i configured VLAN like this:

VLAN_DEFAULT:

PORT  1-24  = untagged

VLAN_50

ID : 50

Every port = no

except PORT 14  = untagged ( here i have an AP connected )

except PORT 21 = tagged

I tagged Port 21, because the LWL-cable is connected to port 21a

I tested it without tagging Port 21, but the result is the same. No connection to devices on the other switch

On the local (Serverroom) switch i configured VLAN like this:

VLAN_DEFAULT:

Port 1 - 48 = untagged

VLAN_50:

ID : 50

Every Port = no

except Port 38/40/42 = untagged

except Port 47 = tagged

port 47s is connected via LWL with the remote switch. Therefore i tried to set it to tagged.

Why did i do this?

As i understand, ports which have "tagged" or "untagged" are part of the VLAN.

"tagged" Ports need a device on the other side of the connection that can handle VLAN-pakets.

"untagged" ports can have devices unaware of VLAN-pakets.

Because the pakets send from the remote devices do NOT tag pakets, the pakets between the

switches have to be tagged in order to be handled correctly ( assigned to the right VLAN)

After that the pakets are routed to the other ports of the switch. As these ports have an untagged-flag the VLAN-part of

the pakets are removed.

I´ve done this configuration on two Netgear-Switches and it works perfectly, BUT between the netgear-switches i have a trunk-connection ( 2 x 1GB RJ45). This trunk is selectable in the vlan-configuration menu.

I can not find the LWL-ports on the HP-switches.

What can i do? What do i have to do?

thanks for your help.