Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748014 Members
4079 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN routing on a 2900-24G

Matthew Kopishke

VLAN routing on a 2900-24G

Hello folks, I'm new to VLANs, so I'm probably asking a simple question but I'm not really sure where to start.

We have two networks, each one is assigned to a different interface on our router. One network running one building, the other network is running the other (ie they're physically separated, just joined at the router)

The problem is that our switch is limited to 100Mb where the rest of the back bone of our network is runner at 1000Mb.

Pretty much I want to use VLANs on the 2900-24G, do routing between our two networks in the switch with everything else being passed back the the router? Does this sound feasible, and if so do you have some pointers on where to start?

I don't have the switch's documentation in hand, the PO got lost so now the switch is coming any day but I have far less of a window to figure it out, hence the homework.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
SjoerdvW
Advisor

Hello Mathew,

Here you can find some manuals: http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/2900.htm

When you assign an ip address to both of you're VLANs and you enable ip routing on this switch it will route between this VLANs. By setting up the routers ip as the default gateway al other traffic will go in this direction. You're clients needs the VLANs IP as they├в re default gateway.

Good luck!
Sjoerd
Matthew Kopishke

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

Matthew Kopishke

OK, I'm starting to run out of ideas.

I have the two VLANs setup, VLAN 100 & VLAN 200.

VLAN 100 has an IP of XXX.18.100.2

VLAN 200 has an IP of XXX.45.110.3

With ip routing on, and using the VLAN's IP as the GW I can talk to the other VLAN and vise versa.

Now I need to add a default route back to the each VLAN's router so they can't get on the 'net but I can't seem to get it to work.

VLAN 100 GW is XXX.18.100.1

VLAN 200 GW is XXX.45.110.1

If I do a ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 XXX.18.100.1 nothing works. If I try to add another route the switch wont let me.

I know I'm doing something silly here, I've been fighting with it for a while now so I'm probably just not seeing something logically.

Thanks,

Matthew Kopishke

That should read can get on the net, not can't.

Sorry.
Drew Redman
Valued Contributor

You're doing it correct, although you can't set two default routes on the switch to my knowledge.

Don't forget you'll need to set a route on your upstream router that points back to the switch.
Matthew Kopishke

Thanks for the reply.

I guess the question is then how do you get the second VLAN to do it's thing (get back to the router)?

Is it something that's going to need to be done on the router side?