108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN's: Windows Server 2003 and 2008 and HP Network Configuration Utility

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

VLAN's: Windows Server 2003 and 2008 and HP Network Configuration Utility

If you want to have multiple subnets (each subnet belonging to a different vlan) available on a single network card, is it possible to use host-side vlan tagging to achieve this?

I am naive on vlan's, but on HP-UX I think you can have the OS/driver automagically tag your packets with the correct vlan tag as they go out the door and then it can autodirect them correctly on the way in.

Can you do this with windows? i.e. have the packets tagged based on the subnet they are on, thereby buying yourself the ability to have trunk at the switch side and have multiple IP's from multiple subnets available on a single network card or team?

Maybe I need to read more and this is a silly question. If so, point some good docs to read and I'll do that and come back later.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Adam,

The short answer is yes... In the HP Network Configuration Utility, you will see a button labeled 802.1q. If you have multiple NICs you can even team them and then tag VLANs to the team. In either the case of a NIC team and/or multiple VLANs, the utility will create a virtual interface for the team and one for each tagged VLAN.
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

I'll swing by with points later, but I couldn't see how it is that you can link the subnet to the vlanid. It will create virtual interfaces 'eh? So that is how you would do it. Assign the IP for the correct subnet to the correct virtual interface to make the magic linkage from subnet to vlan happen.

Does it sound like I am getting this right. If so thanks,
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

Yes, by creating a virtual interface for the VLAN ID of choice; if that VLAN/Subnet supports DHCP, then you can let the adapter get its information dynamically. Otherwise, you can statically configure it. There may be other 'dynamic' methods, but I'm not aware of any that are supported and would have to do some research.

Is this sufficient for solving your challenge? I have read about other methods of assigning tagged VLANs to interfaces, but have not done any investigations into these for the Windows platform.
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
Ayahuaska8
Occasional Visitor

Dear all,

First of all, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I would like to know how can I reconfigure a server with w2k3 and DHCP server??. There are several VLANs on a cisco switch and the work fine, it assigned the different IPs to the different VLANs gateways right.

Honestly I don┬┤t know how it should be configured, do I have to create a loopback (instead a cisco subinterface) and leave the interface without IP? As the VLANs are created on the switch, it tags the packets and the server is working as a router, so should I JUST add the vlan interface in the VLAN(802.1Q) putting the vlan Id and the VLAN name and the app will create the subinterface and connect it to the DHCP scope?? I saw the scope are not named as "vlanxxx", they have descriptive names and they get the IP from the subnet they supossed to be...so I don┬┤t get where the connection is coming from...:'(

I wonder when everything is fine, should I see every interface "connected" or just the vlans interface?

I┬┤m sorry for asking many questions, but on a router this is so easy and with this app I lost an interface connectivity using the Cisco logic...obviously,  I was wrong.

Please, please, please help me and let me know some ideas to test.

Many thanks in advanced.

PD: Is there any way to virtualize this? I already tried on VM installing the HP network configuration utility, and obviously it didn┬┤t work. Can I virtuallize a HP interface??