New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLAN with HP Procurve and Cisco 2821

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Or, in the last attached file for your routing table, it shows you have assigned an IP for vlan1 subinterface giga0/0.1 with 192.168.10.0 network, this one should have the same range of your ProCurve default-vlan (192.168.1.0) ,
and one more thing, you should have all procurve switches default-gateway to this sub-interface ip address.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone

Yes, but i want to change it to 192.168.1.0, my notebook have 192.168.1.1, my switches have 192.168.1.1x and the router 192.168.1.251. All gateways of the switches (and my notbook) point to 192.168.1.251 and can ping the router. Another client with 192.168.40.123 and gateway 192.168.40.251 can not ping the router ??
And what is with VLAN-ID ? On HP 192.168.1.0 have id 1 and on cisco i can't give the VLAN on the subinterface this id.

A.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

See,
Your setup should work fine, but the only thing you should know is that Native Vlan can't carry tagged traffic, as simple as that.
So some people usually change the Native Vlan on Cisco products to accomodate it with their switche's Default-Vlan.

What you need to do it:
- Make the native Vlan on Cisco router=Default-Vlan on procurve switches.
- Create a sub-interface for this native Vlan on the Gigaethernet0/0 port.
- Include this command:
(config)#interface gigabitethernet 0/0.1
(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q native
- Give this sub-interface an ip address in the same range of the Swithces 192.168.1.0/24
example:
(config-subif)#ip address 192.168.1.240 255.255.255.0

Now, all the 192.168.1.0/24 should have Gateway pointed to sub-interface gigabitethernet 0/0.1 - 192.168.1.240 , not to the router router 192.168.1.251 , because this sub-interface with the others all forms the Inter-vlan Routing in your Network.

Finally, you attached before your network map and i can see one interface between the Cisco router and the Core switch 2825, so whats the router interface ip : 192.168.1.251 ?

Is it for the Gigabitethernet 0/0 that you are using for inter-vlan routing ?
If yes, then it doens't really need an IP address because its SUBINTERFACE gigabitethernet 0/0.1 has an IP.

For me, i understand your network like this, and i hope i'm right so that helped you.
Don;t forget to assing points to posts helped you.

Good luck !!!
Science for Everyone

Sorry,

I'am a little bit confused. The encap-command need a VLAN-Id. It should be 1 to be conform with the Default-VLAN on HP, right ? But ID 1 i can not assign. See attachment.

A.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Man, i'm the confused now :)
Can you attach the configuration of the router?
Science for Everyone

I think so, i will try it tomorrow. Now it is enough for today.

A.

Hello.

Here my router config file. I hope you can see more as i am. Please tell me if you can see other things i should do much better.

thanks
A
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Sorry for late reply :)
I checked your config, and it seems fine excpet, you applied a unique VLAN ID (1) to each subinterface with this command :
vlan-id dot1q 1

But we want the sub-interfaces to be in different Vlans.

Just remove the line:vlan-id dot1q 1 under interface gigabitethernet0/0 by:
(config-if)#no vlan-id dot1q 1

Then continue the rest of your configuration.

Hopefully that was a helpful posts from my side, and appreciation can be done by assign points to posts that helped you :)

Good Luck !!!

Science for Everyone

Yes, but my original problem still exists.
My notebook has ip 192.168.1.1 (VLAN 1, untagged port), i can ping all switches and the router on all its subinterfaces. DHCP-server has 193.197.34.205 (VLAN 34, untagged port) and can all these ping too. My notebook can not ping the dhcp server and the dhcp server don't see my notebook. But the router don't see my notebook and don't see the server. Because of this problem my dhcp-clients get no address. And i don't know why ! Problem of port-config, routing, ... ?

A.
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

You have some issues in the network design and configuration because:
" The Native Vlan on the cisco router is 10, and its on Procurve switches is 1 ".

What you can do to solve your problem,:
1- Decide which Vlan should be the Native (default) Vlan.
2- Attach the configuration of the router and ProCurve 2824 core switch, and one of 2650 switches so we can check together.
3- Attach the output of the command: Show vlan on the router to be sure of your sub-interfaces configuration and Vlans.

Now, read this:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

it should help you alot to solve your problem.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone