1745864 Members
4495 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VLAN

Mottai

VLAN

Hi,

We have 2 Hp procurve 1800-24G switches and 1 HP Procurve 2848 Switch. The domain consists of 1 Domain Controller (192.168.1.3), 1 File Server(192.168.1.4), 1 Testing Server(192.168.1.5) and 50 workstations which are connected to the domain controller (192.168.1.0/24). We have 3 gateways, ie 3 routers which have 3 different external IP's and the traffic which goes out of the network is evenly distributed among the 3 gateways.

So, in future I would like to enable VLAN in the network so that

Subnet1:192.168.1.0/24 goes to gateway1,

Subnet2:192.168.2.0/24 goes to gateway2,

Subnet3:192.168.3.0/24 goes to gateway3.

It is also important that computers have to authenticate against the domain controller on subnet1 and also communicate with each other.

So could you please provide me a detailed documentation and methodology on how to accomplish this. I have not worked on hp switches previously.
It is also important that the network is redundant incase 1 of the gateway fails then the traffic can be force to another.

Thank you
Mottai
4 REPLIES 4
Evert Goor
Trusted Contributor

Re: VLAN

To use redundant/failover gateways you need use a failover protocol. vrrp/xrrp
On these protocols are not supported on these switches as these are switches not routers.

Normally you place 2 routers with that failover protocol so when one fails the other takes it over. But to distribute the load for going outside over 3 gateways is something different. you can do static loadbalancing like you said by giving every vlan a different gw but that means also 3 routing zones/devices.

Those external gateways are internet connections ?
Mottai

Thanks for your reply.

The failover might not be possible in this case.
But could you please let me know how to configure the VLAN's

Cheers
Mottai
Mottai

Hi,

could any1 pls provide any info on this case

Cheers
Mottai
bolli
Frequent Advisor

Hello
you can provide the routing on the 2848 switch. When there are different VLANs on 1800 you must set the uplinkports to tagging mode. The accessports must be in untagged mode.

Regards