Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLANS On 3 Procurve 1700 Switches

blacklocist
Occasional Visitor

VLANS On 3 Procurve 1700 Switches

Hi All,

I have a Cisco 871 and 3 Procurve 1700 switches. I am trying to configure switches 2 and 3 to be on their own VLANs for security reasons.

I have the Cisco router setup for 40 or so VLANS (using sub interfaces). With the current configuration the first switch works perfect. Ports are on their own VLAN and DHCP comes up perfectly.

The problem I run into is hooking up the second switch through the first. Here is what I am trying to accomplish.

Cisco Router <----> Switch 1 Port 24
Switch 1 Port 23 <-----> Switch 2 Port 24
(and with a little luck)
Switch 2 Port 23 <-------> Switch 3 Port 24

I am not spanning a couple of VLANS across multiple switches. I am trying to have different VLANS on each switch. This is where I get hung.

For example:
Switch 1 VLANS: 1-10
Switch 2 VLANS: 11-20
Switch 3 VLANS: 21-30

So my questions boils down to how can you make
Switch 1 Port 24 pass packets for VLAN 13 to Port 23 (uplink to second switch) to Switch 2 Port 24 then to the VLAN? Wierd tagging or trunking?

I have attached the config for Switch 1 and 2.

1 REPLY
bolli
Frequent Advisor

Re: VLANS On 3 Procurve 1700 Switches

Hello
you must have one VLAN for transfers across your switches and tag the uplinks into this.

Otherwise there is no possibility to connect the three devices to your CISCO router.

If I where you I make an transfer-lan and assign an IP to the switches. The GW is the ip from your CISCO.
Nobody in your LAN can connect the switches because they are in an other network.

Regards