Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLANS over WLAN

Björn Andreas Höfer
Occasional Advisor

VLANS over WLAN

Hi there,

I have a ProCure Wireless Edge Controller(J9001A) with some EE220 radios connected to it (J9005A).

My Problem:
I'm currently serving one wireless lan on the default VLAN 1, without any trouble.

Now I wanted to create a WLAN-SSID on an other VLAN - lets say on VLAN 5.

I've configured the the WLAN-Controller to serve as DHCP-Server for the VLAN 9, tagged all links (CDP, CUP on the 5304XL, other ports which point out to the networks, up- and downlinks on others switches...).

But when I enter the WLAN with an smartphone or laptop, I don't get an ip address.

If i connect the laptop to a wired port (with an static configured ip address) which is untagged in the VLAN (on the same switch, as the Radio Port) I get an IP-Address very fast (from the Wireless Controller) and I can ping all hosts (gateway, wireless controller...).

If I connect the laptop to the wlan and start wireshark (network sniffer) i can see that my laptop shouts out some DHCP Requests - and get one back, but it seems like he don't accepts them.

I've also tried another dhcp server (which is included in the Fortigate Firewall) - same effect - no ip-lease...

Does anybody have a clue why I don't get an address??
5 REPLIES
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Re: VLANS over WLAN

>>>
- static configured ip address
- I get an IP-Address very fast (from the Wireless Controller)
<<<
there is some contradiction here
do you have static address or dhcp configured?
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

also check if this is a typo, or do you really mean vlan5 and vlan9?

>>>
Now I wanted to create a WLAN-SSID on an other VLAN - lets say on VLAN 5.

I've configured the the WLAN-Controller to serve as DHCP-Server for the VLAN 9,
<<<
Björn Andreas Höfer
Occasional Advisor

Problem solved by myself - 40 Minutes ago...

The Problem was that the CDP Port was wrong configured on the 5304XL.

Config which works for me now:
Port: CDP CUP
VLAN 2100 T T
VLAN 1 (Mgmt) U U
VLAN 5 (Misc) No T

Strange behavior - but it looks operational now - i will test the configuration with a few other combinations...
Björn Andreas Höfer
Occasional Advisor

I've tried both:
with dhcp i did'nt get an ip address, so i configured a static ip to look if it works.

Yes, it was a typo, meant vlan 5

Both did'nt work - but now it worked out with the CDP port - except the management web-site... but i hope i'll get done with this in a short time...
Björn Andreas Höfer
Occasional Advisor

Found the solution by myself - it was a problem with the cdp and cup port.