VLANs on 2650 and FORE 2810

Torsten Zimmermann
Occasional Contributor

VLANs on 2650 and FORE 2810

Hello,

here's the situation :

HP2650 : IP 192.168.1.1

FORE 2810: IP 192.168.1.101

they are connected via a trunk port ( 4*100 Mbit Ports )

it is possible to ping between the devices...

but now here's the problem

i've created a vlan on the hp and the fore switch with the name testvlan .... the trunk ports on the hp are untagged to the default_vlan and tagged to the testvlan.

on the fore switch the ports are in the system vlan and the test vlan.... now i connect devices to the vlan

192.168.7.10 to the hp and 192.168.7.11 fore

but i can't get a connection ... it is possible that hp and fore can't work with each other when there is the need of distributing a vlan on several switches ?
2 REPLIES
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Re: VLANs on 2650 and FORE 2810

Both VLANs must be defined on both switches having the same 802.1q VLAN ID (e.g. 802.1q VLAN ID = 1 for "Default_VLAN" on HP and "system" VLAN on FORE, and = 2 for "testvlan" on HP and "test vlan" on fore)

You will only need IP addresss defined for the VLAN interfaces of the switches if you intend to perform IP routing on one of the switches, or if you want to administer the switches remotely (in which case I would use a VLAN dedicated only to the switch management, in which no usual PC hosts would live)
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Re: VLANs on 2650 and FORE 2810

Both VLANs must be defined on both switches having the same 802.1q VLAN ID (e.g. 802.1q VLAN ID = 1 for "Default_VLAN" on HP and "system" VLAN on FORE, and = 2 for "testvlan" on HP and "test vlan" on FORE)

You will only need IP addresss defined for the VLAN interfaces of the switches if you intend to perform IP routing on one of the switches, or if you want to administer the switches remotely (in which case I would use a VLAN dedicated only to the switch management, in which no usual PC hosts would live)